Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ecco the Dolphin (Genesis)

66 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

game-club.jpg

EccotheDolphinUSA.jpg

Here it is, folks. Our next Game Club game is Ecco the Dolphin for the Sega Genesis.

Ecco's available on a number of systems:

• Genesis
  • Sega CD
  • Virtual Console (Wii) - 800 Wii Points
  • Xbox Live Arcade (Xbox 360) - 400 MS Points
  • Sega Genesis Collection (PS2) - $20
  • Sega Genesis Collection (PSP) - $30

We'll be discussing the game in Episode 68, so leave your comments here. You can also leave us comments on our voice mail line at 713-893-8069. If you call, however, keep your call on the subject of Ecco--it saves us from having to do any extra editing. ;)

Posted · Report post

I remember renting back in the day and thinking it was really hard. Hopefully it really isn't when I play it in the next week.

Posted · Report post

I loved this game back in the day. I haven't played it in a loooooong time though. I don't think I owned it either, this was one of the two games my sister owned since we both got the Genesis for Christmas... I was the only one who ever played it though.

Hey, I didn't know it was on XBLA. That's awesome.

Oh and it's on the PSP? I have that version too

Posted · Report post

I'll have to re-check out the Sega CD version of this game next week. I'm too lazy to download ROMs right now though. I just deleted about 5 gigs worth of Sega CD ISOs off my comp.

Posted · Report post

This is a game I never got, it seem really wide open and aimless to me. This could have been cause all I was playing at the time were games like Sonic and such that just involve me going right.

Posted · Report post

P1P crew, what do you guys consider Retro Game Club material? 8, 16, and 32 bit only? N64? Is the DC too new?

Posted · Report post

Nice! I started having some Ecco hankerings when I was playing the demo for Aquaria.

I'll be rocking the PSP version.

Posted · Report post

Hey, I didn't know it was on XBLA. That's awesome.

Try getting the achievement for beating the game 3 times without dying.

Posted · Report post

What's the stance on emulation for old systems here? I might consider trying it out.

Posted · Report post

What's the stance on emulation for old systems here? I might consider trying it out.

I'm going to emulate the Sega CD version. I have no other way to play it because I don't have a PSP, Wii, Sega CD, Genesis or 360.

Posted · Report post

P1P crew, what do you guys consider Retro Game Club material? 8, 16, and 32 bit only? N64? Is the DC too new?

Right now we're trying to stick with stuff that's available on the Virtual Console and XBLA because we do not endorse piracy and want people to have access to the games.

We're also (for now) focusing on 8 and 16-bit stuff. We figure that the older games might be more interesting to talk about since it's probably been a long time since people have played them. Heck, some of our listeners might not have played these older games at all, allowing for a unique perspective from their point of view.

Posted · Report post

we do not endorse piracy

but... didn't Sewart play Star Tropics on a NES emulator?

Anyway, I don't have acces to any of the versions of the game so I have to emulate it. I played it on my Cousin's Genesis back in the day and I just need a refresher course.

Posted · Report post

but... didn't Sewart play Star Tropics on a NES emulator?

Anyway, I don't have acces to any of the versions of the game so I have to emulate it. I played it on my Cousin's Genesis back in the day and I just need a refresher course.

We don't endorse Greg, either. :P

How about a "don't ask, don't tell" policy? But we do make sure that the games are widely (and legally) available before choosing to do them so we don't have to deal with the whole uncomfortable piracy issue.

Posted · Report post

Right now we're trying to stick with stuff that's available on the Virtual Console and XBLA because we do not endorse piracy and want people to have access to the games.

MORE ANTI-PLAYSTATION BIAS. > :(

Posted · Report post

How about a "don't ask, don't tell" policy? But we do make sure that the games are widely (and legally) available before choosing to do them so we don't have to deal with the whole uncomfortable piracy issue.

Sounds good. If something is available on the Virtual Console, I'll probably buy it if it's a game I'd like to partake in. I don't have a 360, so XBLA is out of the question for me.

Posted · Report post

So does that mean the gameclub can't look forward to 3rd party out-of-state bootleg mario arcade ROMs? I guess Doki Doki panic is also out of the question then.

Posted · Report post

I don't know if it's the same version or not, but I played a little bit of the Game Gear version. I just could not understand what the hell I was supposed to do and did not like the game. I'm pretty sure I returned it the same day I bought it.

Posted · Report post

So does that mean the gameclub can't look forward to 3rd party out-of-state bootleg mario arcade ROMs? I guess Doki Doki panic is also out of the question then.

I know you know this but we had that game as SMB2 with just different characters, and thats all.

Posted · Report post

This is much better, thanks Phil :)

Posted · Report post

Bi-weekly? :(

Posted · Report post

Bi-weekly? :(

Yep, bi-weekly. We figured that by spacing the segment out, it gives everyone more time to play the game (and hopefully get a more involved discussion going). If we did the bit every week, it would probably grow tiresome as well, so we wanted some breathing room in between installments.

Posted · Report post

Yep, bi-weekly. We figured that by spacing the segment out, it gives everyone more time to play the game (and hopefully get a more involved discussion going). If we did the bit every week, it would probably grow tiresome as well, so we wanted some breathing room in between installments.

Not to mention that it gives the three hosts more than enough time to devote to each game club game :) If we went weekly, there'd be games that I really wouldn't play for more than five minutes given my work/school schedule.

And I own a copy of StarTropics...I just couldn't be bothered to hook up the NES.

Posted · Report post

Oh and it's on the PSP? I have that version too

I'll be rocking the PSP version.

I heartily recommend that everyone purchase Sega Genesis Collection for the PS2 and PSP. Tons of great games on there for an outstanding price.

I also worked on them.

Posted · Report post

And I own a copy of StarTropics...I just couldn't be bothered to hook up the NES.

Thats still illegal you know. Unless you physically dump the rom yourself from your own game, its still illegal.

Posted · Report post

I heartily recommend that everyone purchase Sega Genesis Collection for the PS2 and PSP. Tons of great games on there for an outstanding price.

I also worked on them.

It's on my list of games to buy, so I can finally play Comix Zone. Never owned a Genesis and I've always wanted to play it.