Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES)

42 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

game-club.jpg

MysticalNinja.jpg

This week's game is Konami's The Legend of the Mystical Ninja for the SNES, the game that introduced Western gamers to Goemon. Of course, Americans were afraid of crazy Japanese names back in 1992, so he was renamed "Kid Ying" for this release (and his sidekick Ebisumaru became "Dr. Yang").

It's a strange mix of platforming, adventure, and mini-games, so dig in. Be sure to try the multiplayer mode, too.

You can play Mystical Ninja on your SNES or on the Wii's Virtual Console (800 points). If you're really hardcore, you can play it on the Japanese-only GBA re-release, which contains the first two SNES entries in the series.

Goemon12.jpg

MysticalNinja1.jpgMysticalNinja2.jpg

Videos:

Goemon - 20th Anniversary

Posted · Report post

I loved the Goemon games on the SNES and the N64 release. They were some of my favorite games.... of course I never finished any of them... still!

Oh and... that's odd... I didn't know Solid Snake had an SD version who ran amok as a ninja in feudal japan...

Posted · Report post

I prefer my ninjas radical.

Posted · Report post

Cool. I played these back in the day, too. Never really got anywhere with them, though. I hope you take the time to mention the kewl music from the N64 game (which I never played, either).

Posted · Report post

I prefer my ninjas radical.

Man, don't get me started...

KidNikiCollection.jpg

Posted · Report post

Man, don't get me started...

KidNikiCollection.jpg

Where do you get those wonderful toys?

Posted · Report post

I love the hell out of this one

mysticalbox.jpg

Posted · Report post

Cool. I played these back in the day, too. Never really got anywhere with them, though. I hope you take the time to mention the kewl music from the N64 game (which I never played, either).

Here is as it really happens in the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O65MjYN0ZTk

Posted · Report post

Where do you get those wonderful toys?

The arcade board, bezel, and marquees came from eBay. The three Famicom games and the Game Boy game were bought in Japan. One of the NES carts was bought used at a GameStop a few years ago. The boxed NES and C64 versions are mine from back in the day.

But back on topic...SNES Mystical Ninja!

Posted · Report post

I played the N64 game and enjoyed it (from what I remember).

I feel bad because I haven't been able to participate in the past few Game Clubs because I'm broke.

Posted · Report post

The SNES box cover is so fucking creepy. His face gives me the nightmares. I'm actually going to try and play this one, since I've never played, or even heard of it before.

EDIT: Who is Goemon?

Posted · Report post

EDIT: Who is Goemon?

Seriously?

He's the game's main character. The little ninja fellow with the spiky blue hair (ignore how he looks on the SNES box art). He's (very) loosely based on Ishikawa Goemon, a legendary bandit in Japanese history.

Goemon has starred in a ton of games in Japan, but only a select few have been released in the U.S. Legend of the Mystical Ninja was the first game in the series to be released in the U.S., and in it, Goemon was renamed as Kid Ying. In the other titles that came out afterwards, Konami kept the characters' original names.

This is one of the reasons why I wanted to do this title in Game Club. In Japan, it's a very popular franchise by a major game publisher, but it's practically unknown in the U.S.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the lesson, I was completely serious. Are you a collector of these games, too? I yearn to see your room of shame.

Posted · Report post

Another great Game Club - I've always wanted to see what this game is, but I've never really had a reason. Now, I'll boot it up and play a little while.

Posted · Report post

This cant be one of them JAPANESE!!! games can it????????///??

Posted · Report post

While I've known of him for years, the only game I can say I've played that had Goemon in it was Konami Wacky Racers, a launch GBA game.

Posted · Report post

All right! I have a lot of fond memories of this game - it was a favorite of mine around the time I was first becoming obsessed with everything Japanese. Time to download it on VC - I have been meaning to anyway.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the lesson, I was completely serious. Are you a collector of these games, too? I yearn to see your room of shame.

I usually try to withhold my opinions of the Game Club games until the show, but what the hell...here's a hint:

GoemonCollection01.jpg

Posted · Report post

So...... a fan, then? I'm breaking into your house, and I'm checking out your room.

Posted · Report post

I love how incredibly "Americanized" this game's cover is. It's especially hilarious when you view it in Phil's collection :lol:

Posted · Report post

Phil are you actually meticulously laying out these collections to take photos for replies or do you have a set of photos of your collections for just this reason?

Posted · Report post

That's not a healthy obession Phil.

Posted · Report post

I usually try to withhold my opinions of the Game Club games until the show, but what the hell...here's a hint:

OMG

This makes me even more angry that Konami refuses to release more of the games in the US

Do you have this? I picked it up at Best Buy for $20 a while ago but have only watched the first episode

51TZDHPA8RL._SS500_.jpg

Posted · Report post

Phil are you actually meticulously laying out these collections to take photos for replies or do you have a set of photos of your collections for just this reason?

I took those pictures a while ago for some "show off your collections" thread on NeoGAF.

OMG

This makes me even more angry that Konami refuses to release more of the games in the US

Do you have this? I picked it up at Best Buy for $20 a while ago but have only watched the first episode

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TZ...8RL._SS500_.jpg

I bought the anime DVDs when there were released as separate volumes. I've considering buying that collection just to be a nerd collector, but I've held off. The top row of my collection picture is the five individual volumes. That framed picture in the middle is an animation cell from the show.

Posted · Report post

I excited about this Game Club. I bought this on VC when it was released but never got around to playing it. now I have the perfect excuse to set aside some other games to get my money's worth on the purchase. I'll have to make room in my fridge first.... :)