Super Metroid (SNES)

100 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

game-club.jpg

SuperMetroidBox.png

The last Metroid is in captivity.

The galaxy is at peace...

SuperMetroid01.png

Holy cow! We're finally doing another Game Club!

In celebration of our 200th episode of the Player One Podcast and the upcoming release of Metroid: Other M for Wii, we are taking a look back at one of the most acclaimed titles for the Super NES, Super Metroid.

SuperMetroid02.pngSuperMetroid03.png

Despite all of the praise that Super Metroid has gotten over the years, the game is over 15 years old now. Does it still hold up after all this time?* Let's find out by playing it together! Bust out your old cartridge or pick up the game for 800 Nintendo Points from the Wii's Virtual Console.

SuperMetroid04.pngSuperMetroid05.png

We'll be discussing Super Metroid on episode 201 of the Player One Podcast, so get playing and share your comments and/or memories. You can post them in this thread, drop us an email, or leave a voicemail (713-893-8069).

YouTube Links

Don't be a fool. Of course it holds up! Still, maybe you have...odd...taste in games and you're not a fan of Super Metroid. In that case, we really wanna hear from you.

Posted · Report post

Well there's goes my plan to get back into Dragon Age.

Posted · Report post

How many times have I replayed this game?

Samus_GravitySuit_hyperflash_right.gif

Posted · Report post

I managed to get myself stuck within the first hour. There's a gate that won't open from my side, and a long room with a floor I need to dash over :(

Posted · Report post

If I remember correctly, you should still be able to run (hold the button) over that floor without the dash boots. It has a closing gate, right?

Posted · Report post

There's a run button? :)

Posted · Report post

:|

SuperNintendo-Dpad-Left.png or SuperNintendo-Dpad-Right.png: Moves left or right.
  • SuperNintendo-Dpad-Up.png: Aim upwards.
  • SuperNintendo-Dpad-Down.png: Duck down/aim downwards in the air.
  • SuperNintendo-Button-X.png: Shoot
  • SuperNintendo-Button-A.png: Jump
  • SuperNintendo-Button-B.png: Dash/Run
  • SuperNintendo-Button-Start.png: Access the map and equipment menus
  • SuperNintendo-Button-Select.png: Item select
  • SuperNintendo-Button-Y.png: Item menu cancellation
  • SuperNintendo-Button-R.png: Aim weapon up
  • SuperNintendo-Button-L.png: Aim weapon down
    • Run: Press SuperNintendo-Dpad-Left.png or SuperNintendo-Dpad-Right.png, and hold the "Run" button. Increases Samus's speed considerably. After acquiring the Speed Booster, continuing to hold the Run button will eventually activate the Booster and Samus will turn a blue color followed by speed echoes, and will be invincible to most attacks.
      • Duck: Press SuperNintendo-Dpad-Down.png. Holding DOWN while walking or running will aim diagonally down while still moving. While ducking Samus is lower to the ground and may avoid some projectiles or be in better position to attack enemies.
        • Aim diagonally while standing: By default SuperNintendo-Button-L.png will aim Samus's arm cannon down and SuperNintendo-Button-R.png up, diagonally, even while at a complete standstill, ducking, or during a jump.
          • Jumping: Pressing the Jump button will cause Samus to leap into the air. The Hi Jump Boots will increase her altitude significantly.

Intermediate moves

[*]Wall Jumping: Somersault towards a wall. When Samus touches the wall, press in the opposite direction. For a brief moment Samus's sprite will change. Pressing jump again will allow Samus to jump off the wall. If two walls are adjacent to each other Samus can jump between them to gain height, or Samus can also jump straight up one wall with some practice.

[*]Shinespark: Once the Speed Booster is acquired, Samus has the ability to store and release huge amounts of energy. Once the Booster activates, duck. If done correctly, Samus will beging to flash white. Tapping the Jump button will launch Samus into the air at incredible velocity. Tapping Jump, then tapping it again will launch Samus in the direction she is facing. Holding the Diagonal Aim Up button will launch Samus diagonally up. Any use of the Shinespark uses Samus's own energy to function. When she reaches 1 unit of energy, Shinesparking will be impossible.

[*]Bomb Spread: After charging a beam, morphing into a ball will release five bombs. If DOWN is held, it can delay the release and they will be sent flying much farther than they normally would using the technique.

[*]Charge Holding: Using the technique discussed under Bomb Spread, it is also possible to charge a beam, morph, and then continue holding DOWN while moving. Use the Jump button to unmorph. With this method, it is possible to carry a charged shot through tunnels, for instance.

[*]Moon Walking: Before beginning your game, if you go to the special options menu you can enable the Moon Walk ability. If enabled, if you begin firing from a standing position while not moving and then you press SuperNintendo-Dpad-Neutral.png in the opposite direction you are facing, Samus will begin to Moonwalk backwards slowly in that direction. This works well in situations where you want to fire but adjust your position slightly.

• Basic moves

Posted · Report post

I couldn't really get into the original Metroid or Metroid 2 when I was a child, but Super Metroid hooked me instantly. It's been lingering in my VC library for a couple years now, but this Game Club gives me a decent enough excuse to play through it one more time.

The soundtrack is especially phenomenal, and has really held up well over time. The SNES could sure churn out some crazy good music.

On a totally random note, I loved being able to save the little alien critters during the climactic end-game escape. The little speck flying away from the explosion was a nice touch.

Posted · Report post

I think the key feature Super Metroid has over what Other M appears to lack is subtlety. It did a great job of showing rather than telling all the way up to the last encounter.

I'm really curious about what Sakamoto's first 3D Metroid is going to be like aside from the monotone Samus accompanied with equally painful dialog. I'm sure it'll go out of its way to make you not care about a backstory that otherwise seemed interesting the first time Yoshio told it through the form of a manga. Now we have BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY.

">

Posted · Report post

The first metroid was great, but it was an incredibly daunting game. No map feature meant lots of graph paper and memorization.

metroid II was just a straight action game, wasn't it?

Posted · Report post

From what I remember, Metroid 2 still had the open, non-linear design, but you had to kill a set number of Metroids that were scattered all over the place. The character model was so large that it was really difficult to effectively fend off a quick-moving flying enemy.

Metroid simply was not meant to be on a tiny monochrome screen.

Posted · Report post

I have a one-month-old baby at home and I didn't know how I was going to be able to play Super Metroid. Then it occurred to me. I'm officially declaring this week "Bring Your Super Nintendo To Work Week!" Next week, too! I have a CRT TV in my office.

The perfect crime.

Posted · Report post

The first metroid was great, but it was an incredibly daunting game. No map feature meant lots of graph paper and memorization.

Not to mention those pesky save codes.

Posted · Report post

I have a one-month-old baby at home and I didn't know how I was going to be able to play Super Metroid. Then it occurred to me. I'm officially declaring this week "Bring Your Super Nintendo To Work Week!" Next week, too! I have a CRT TV in my office.

The perfect crime.

Those young ones tend to sleep pretty soundly, and they're rather portable. Don't overlook the whole "baby asleep on the chest while playing Metroid" possibility.

I have a picture of me doing this with my daughter. I'll have to find it.

Posted · Report post

mon visage quand shinespark

I honestly don't have the words to express my joy at seeing this being a gameclub title

And hey, Chairman Steve? I had my time down to about 1:11 in Metroid 2. Such a fun game.

Posted · Report post

I'm quite jealous, HA. I wish I could have found enjoyment in Metroid 2. :(

I did really like the music, though.

Posted · Report post

I beat Metroid 2 while waiting at the dentist's. I spider-ball'd EVERYWHERE.

Posted · Report post

Those young ones tend to sleep pretty soundly, and they're rather portable. Don't overlook the whole "baby asleep on the chest while playing Metroid" possibility.

Yes, she's a sleeper and a half. I have multiple SNESes so I'll just bring the cartridge back and forth. It's a slow week at work and no one works out of my office but me. And I only see my boss about once every three months. I wish there was a way to transfer saves from Virtual Console to my antiquated gametapes, though. Ah, well. I like SNES controllers better than Wii Classic Controllers.

Posted · Report post

Some great Super Metroid related scans over at Metroid Database

EGM review and a Making Of interview (excellent choices on the Super Metroid screens, of course. :| ):

EGM59pg028.jpg

retrogamer_58-59.jpg

retrogamer_60-61.jpg

retrogamer_62-63.jpg

Holy crap! I loved that issue of Game Players, and I've been trying to remember for years what that magazine was called. The Super Metroid feature in that issue is what convinced me to buy the game when it was released. Wow, that brings back memories...

Posted · Report post

I'm so incredibly happy Game Club is back! I've played Fusion and Zero Mission but not Super Metroid, hopefully I'll be able to get into it.

Posted · Report post

I'm so incredibly happy Game Club is back! I've played Fusion and Zero Mission but not Super Metroid, hopefully I'll be able to get into it.

I envy you. You are in for a treat.

Posted · Report post

After beating the Chozo boss last night with 2 health remaining, I realized that I had completely forgotten how hard this game is before you collect a good number of energy tanks.

It's been 16 years since I first played Super Metroid, and I'm loving it just as much now as I did then. My only real complaint is that the controls are VERY awkward, but that's mostly because of how the buttons on the controller are placed. My thumb hurts. :(

Posted · Report post

as one of the few still boxed SNES games i still own, i doubt there will be better reason than Game Club to dig out the ol' Super Nintendo and do this up the right way.

full disclosure: i've never actually finished a Metroid game, even though the series has been a love of mine since the NES days.

Posted · Report post

I'm having one major problem transitioning from the portables to this game. I don't want X to be shoot anymore! Please god make it stop! I'm definitely fumbling with the controls a lot. I basically have to unlearn my mastery of the portable ones, which I just 100%'d back to back over the last 2 weeks. Playing those so much first is really kicking me in the ass now.