Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mega Man Legends 3 Canceled

38 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

How crappy does a 3DS game have to be for Capcom to cancel it? RE: The Mercenaries 3D says hi.

Posted · Report post

How crappy does a 3DS game have to be for Capcom to cancel it? RE: The Mercenaries 3D says hi.

I think it's more of them just dropping everything Mega Man.

Posted · Report post

I saw this coming after Inafune left and Universe got cancelled. I'm sad about it but it's not surprising.

Posted · Report post

Capcom: Hey everyone, help us make this game -- especially all you fans of Mega Man!

Everyone: Okay.

Capcom: Hrmm... your ideas suck. This game is cancelled, go f**k off.

Posted · Report post

Wasnt this the game that people were furious about capcom selling the demo for? Well, look guys, no demo.

Posted · Report post

I guess I'm disappointed, but maybe it's about time to give Mega Man some time off?

Posted · Report post

I guess I'm disappointed, but maybe it's about time to give Mega Man some time off?

When's the last time that Mega Man was on the clock?

Posted · Report post

Like you guys said, Capcom has a thing for cancelling Mega Man projects these days, but could this also be a 3DS problem? I saw that Ubisoft scrapped an Assassin's Creed 3DS game recently. Third-parties could be backing away a bit until Nintendo gets that thing moving a little better.

Posted · Report post

Well, the thing about the AC 3DS game, according to recent reports anyway, is that it wound up being spun into Revelations. But 3DS sucking shit at retail is what Sega said when explaining why they are pushing their Crushed remake to February.

Posted · Report post

Well, the thing about the AC 3DS game, according to recent reports anyway, is that it wound up being spun into Revelations. But 3DS sucking shit at retail is what Sega said when explaining why they are pushing their Crushed remake to February.

Exactly. Pushing a game makes sense if your reasons have to do with slower than anticipated console sales. Cancelling a game outright indicates there was a problem with the game that couldn't be rectified or that your sales projections came in low enough that you wouldn't want to invest further in a product.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fuck.....there goes my reason for picking up a 3DS. there is now really NOTHING I am looking forward to on the system.

C'mon Capcom, the last few years have been so great - Megaman 9, 10, Zero Collection...then you cockteased us with the awesome possibilities of Universe only to cancel that, and now you're telling us that the long awaited sequel to one of the best spin-off series ever is canceled? Boo Capcom. Just....boo.

I can't help but feel Capcom is shooting itself in the foot. Megaman has long been their life blood.

Edited by Satoshi_Matrix

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm just going to say what we're all thinking - this is for the best. This game was going to be a piece of shit. I'm sorry, but it's true. The "getting the fans involved" crap was the most inorganic, stupid move imaginable that stunk of exactly what it was: Capcom corporate trying to gauge how many people actually give a shit about MML3 because they were willing to gamble on it, but not that much. Hey guys, did it ever occur to you that I don't want to help you make a game? That perhaps I want an artist with a vision to make something and it's totally fine if it doesn't click with me because that's still preferable to someone designing a game "just for me"?

Edited by I AM JOHN!

Posted · Report post

If Capcom wanted to actually gauge interest, they would have put out that $3 demo prototype thing. That would have been a better indicator than user participation. There was probably more at work here.

Posted · Report post

It can't be both? It seems pretty reasonable that they decided that there wasn't enough interest to even spend the money to finish Prototype. And kind of like most article on the internet is saying about this, Inafune leaving probably wasn't the nail in the coffin, but not having a big player to champion the project anymore certainly doesn't help matters.

Posted · Report post

I don't know how they can appropriately gauge interest and sales projections with just rough trailers and expecting fans to pitch in. That's just insane, even for Capcom. Why not just sell posters at Comicon and let that be a determining factor too, then?

Posted · Report post

This is the same company that used Bionic Commando Rearmed to gauge interest in dreadlock Spencer.

Posted · Report post

CITATION NEEDED

Posted · Report post

I'm just going to say what we're all thinking - this is for the best. This game was going to be a piece of shit. I'm sorry, but it's true. The "getting the fans involved" crap was the most inorganic, stupid move imaginable that stunk of exactly what it was: Capcom corporate trying to gauge how many people actually give a shit about MML3 because they were willing to gamble on it, but not that much. Hey guys, did it ever occur to you that I don't want to help you make a game? That perhaps I want an artist with a vision to make something and it's totally fine if it doesn't click with me because that's still preferable to someone designing a game "just for me"?

Not sure how you're able to judge how crappy the game was going to be on more than the couple short clips of gameplay from the beta. And the fans had nothing to do with the game other than a few character designs of new characters. NOTHING the fans decided had ANY chance of negatively affecting gameplay.

Posted · Report post

It screamed to me of Capcom having no confidence in the product, that the only way they were able to get people to care was to carrot-on-a-stick them by saying "help us design these characters!" If they're willing to go that far, you really think it's out of the question that they'd let the fans design more of the game for them?

I know the guy has very little fans here so even bringing him up is going to make some people jump down my throats, but Jeremy Parish's poignant, creepily timely piece on Mega Man Legends sums it up perfectly - what made those first two games and Misadventures of Tron Bonne so great was that there was a ton of heart to them. There's an artistic integrity and vision to them that transcends their PS1-game mechanics. Their entire handling of MML3, to me, missed the point of that. Allowing the fans to decide key elements of a game, even if all it ended up being was how a character looks (though, again, you will not convince me that it would've ended there; the fact that Prototype even existed and was not guaranteed to be indicative of the final game is pretty damn clear evidence that they were willing to just throw things out at will based on feedback), is forsaking your artistic vision to placate your audience, end stop. And just like I have a problem with stupidly homogenized, focus-tested Call of Duty brogames that assume I'm stupid and need my hand held throughout, I don't take kindly to design-by-committee. That's not the loving return of a series I want to see and, while it may have been mechanically fine, does nothing to convince me that the game won't be mediocre pandering shit.

If you're going to take a gamble on something--and MML3 obviously was a gamble to Capcom which is why it's now dead--either go big or don't fucking bother. They tried to have it both ways and take a gamble while hedging their bets on getting people to care by getting them involved, and ended up being a transparently obvious case of Capcom once again trying to focus test a successful game into existence while "retaining" the series' creative charm. As far as I'm concerned, we're better off without that.

Posted · Report post

Design by committee never feels as organic as design by few. It's why Jak & Daxter (the characters, not the games) seem so bland when compared to Sly Cooper and the gang.

Posted · Report post

Design by committee never feels as organic as design by few. It's why Jak & Daxter (the characters, not the games) seem so bland when compared to Sly Cooper and the gang.

Or why Handy Manny and NiHao Kai Lan aren't as interesting as Bob the Builder and Dora the Explorer.

Posted · Report post

Or why Handy Manny and NiHao Kai Lan aren't as interesting as Bob the Builder and Dora the Explorer.

You watch lots of baby shows for someone without kids.

Posted · Report post

You watch lots of baby shows for someone without kids.

I'm puerto rican, who says I don't have kids?

Posted · Report post

I'm puerto rican, who says I don't have kids?

i dont get how that connected to watching kids shows.