Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

SKYRIM

168 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

God willing, I'll be able to score a copy tomorrow evening when I get off duty, thus foiling Bethesda's carefully planned marketing ploy of releasing on 11/11/11. And when I do, I plan to dive right in, and not come back up for air for a very long time.

Oblivion, despite it's flaws, was one of my favorite experiences early on in the 360's lifespan. I fucking loved it. Anyone else as super excited for Skyrim as I am?

Posted · Report post

To be honest, I've not been super excited about anything release this Autumn, and I really can't pinpoint why.

Maybe it's sequel fatigue? There are literally zero first-time IPs being hyped for Christmas season (not that this is any different than any other year), and I am starting to see consoles showing their age, even though games like Batman, Battlefield and Uncharted are quite visually impressive.

That being said, I have a sealed copy of RAGE that I picked up last week during Target's Buy 2 Get 1 sale, so I might try to haggle with customer service and see if they'll let me trade it in for Skyrim this weekend. Most likely they won't (and they'll give me some real bullshit excuse), but it's worth a shot, hey?

Posted · Report post

I actually asked about that when I bought my games during that sale and they told me that returning all three games unopened would result in a full refund. If you only return one, you'll get $40 for it.

Posted · Report post

I'm hoping to play the game, but not until December. Life is just too much in the way until then.

Posted · Report post

I actually asked about that when I bought my games during that sale and they told me that returning all three games unopened would result in a full refund. If you only return one, you'll get $40 for it.

That much was made clear to me, but I don't want to return it for a refund--I want to exchange it. I realize that I got a $20 discount, but the retail price for RAGE is still $60, so I'm hoping with a grin and some charm, I can convince the Target team member unfortunate enough to serve me that it's a fair trade which doesn't impact the company's profits (which I wholeheartedly believe to be true).

Posted · Report post

I played the hell out of Oblivion and I expect this will be no different, so yeah I'm friggin excited for this game. Very much so. I'll definitely be picking up my copy at midnight, and I imagine my sleep schedule will be taking a distant backseat to the questing for a while.

Posted · Report post

I'm excited to (try) and pick up Skyrim tomorrow. My only hope is Skyrim on PS3 won't be a huge buggy mess like Oblivion, Fallout 3 and especially Fallout New Vagas are.

Posted · Report post

You are fooling yourself if you expect Skyrim to be anything other than a buggy mess. I'm pretty sure Bethesda places game-breaking glitches in their games on purpose--it's like their watermark.

Posted (edited) · Report post

For some reason, I just could never get into the Elder Scroll games. Morrowind I think I tried at some point but can remember next to nothing about it. Oblivion on the other hand I first played around when it came out on PC, and I would say I actually hated it. The combat felt neither polished nor interesting, the story didn't draw me in at all, and the character models were the stuff of nightmares. And that's to say nothing of the absolute technical mess of a game it was. I think somebody on a podcast (WAHP?) once called it "boring adventure in ugly people land", a more perfect and succinct description for Oblivion than any I could come up with. But I'd always read people say "it's a much more awesome game with mods", so last year during a Steam sale I bought it again, downloaded countless mods, spent at least 20 hours on making all work, took some screenshots, and then realized underneath it all is still the game I hated. Just with more attractive characters (well, the females anyway, since internet modders are what they are).

I also bought Fallout 3 GOTY, and I guess I might give that a shot since at least the combat would be different enough from Oblivion that I might not hate it (as much?) Maybe it's just because I'm less inclined to like open-world games than most (the only real open-world game I can remember enjoying even going back to GTA3 is inFamous, though I don't play many of them), but other computer RPGs I've liked well enough, so by and large at this point I have little faith in Bethesda being able to make a RPG that interests me.

So for Skyrim... unless I find out that it's much different from Oblivion in design, I'll probably give it a shot in 2 years when it's cheap during a Steam sale and the modding community is mature.

Edited by gokieks

Posted · Report post

Yeah, it will probably be a giant buggy mess. And just like the last few buggy messes they released, I'm betting I'll still love it to death.

Posted · Report post

I will play the crap out of this game in a year when it is $5 in a Steam sale.

Posted · Report post

Eventually.

Posted · Report post

Made the painful decision to switch my amazon preorder to the pc version. So the box should get here tomorrow, but the computer to run it on is not being delivered until the middle of next week.

Uncharted 3 and battlefield 3 online are great, thankfully, and will keep my head from exploding in anticipation this weekend. Hopefully.

Posted · Report post

depending on petes review of the machine, i may buy the same pc with skyrim on PC

Eventually.

ChcKC.jpg

Edited by Owozifa

Posted · Report post

I've decided to hold off for the eventual Game of the Year edition.

Posted · Report post

For the three people that haven't seen it already

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5aUdijAN8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5aUdijAN8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5aUdijAN8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Posted · Report post

I am going to wait for a steam sale on this one

Posted · Report post

So of course at the last minute I decided I would go ahead and get this today, but all the places I checked this morning were cleaned out of the PC version. I'd download it from Steam but I'm on a "4G" connection here at work...I'll either have to lug the PC home to download it tonight or come to my senses and wait.

Posted · Report post

I bought the D2D version at $48. Skyrim runs well with a 560ti at 1080p with everything (except the sliders) maxed out with 4x FXAA. Averaging 40-60 fps with dips to the 30s at some points. The big improvement over Oblivion is the removal of stuttering which maybe could have been removed by mods but I only run vanilla. I know it's a minor thing, but I love the font they used. The drop shadow they added to it makes it look clean for some reason.

Posted · Report post

Skyrim runs well with a 560ti at 1080p with everything (except the sliders) maxed out with 4x FXAA. Averaging 40-60 fps with dips to the 30s at some points.

Music to my ears. That's the card that's in the PC I just bought.

Posted · Report post

Which one did you buy Mik?

I got mine from Dell. Same specs as Pete's, except his has a 1.5TB HD and mine's only 1TB. His has a Radeon... 6750 (I think?) Something like that. And mine has a GeForce GTX 560Ti. And mine was about $150 more (which is the literal price difference between the two graphics cards)

I was considering getting the same one as Pete and the thing that made me go with the Dell is pretty dumb: the case looks a little less GAMER XTREME, and it's going to be sitting in a spot where it can be easily seen. I'm shallow like that. The one Pete got is a really good deal.

Edited by mik

Posted · Report post

So apparently the 360 version has some sort of blurry texture issue?

Posted · Report post

So apparently the 360 version has some sort of blurry texture issue?

Yeah it does.

I Googled "Skyrim PS3" just to see how the performance was and saw a side-by-side comparison of the 360 and PS3 versions. It was akin to the video floating around of the difference between opting to install the HD texture pack for BF3 or not.

In other news: