Generation 16 is live

228 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Please support me by donating to my Patreon campaign!

(Archive.org)
History of Sega, Japanese launch of the Mega Drive, Games: Space Harrier II, Super Thunder Blade, Altered Beast, Osomatsu-kun: Hachamecha Gekijo, Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle. (Oct. 1988 - Feb. 1989)

(Archive.org)
Featuring the first third-party game on the Mega Drive! Games: Phantasy Star II, Tommy Lasorda Baseball, Super Daisenryaku, Thunder Force II, Last Battle. (Mar. 1989 - Jul. 1989)

Episode 003 (YouTube)(Archive.org)
Featuring the North American launch of the Genesis. Games: World Championship Soccer, Ghouls'n Ghosts, Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf, Super Hang-On, Super Hydlide. (Jul. 1989 - Oct. 1989)

(Archive.org)
The Mega Drive turns one! Movie games! Yuzo Koshiro! Germans! Hardcore nudity! Games: Rambo III, Zoom!, Forgotten Worlds, Mystic Defender, The Revenge of Shinobi (Oct. 1989 - Dec. 1989)

(Archive.org)
The biggest month in the Mega Drive's history continues with AM2's first console game and the birth of the modern RTS! Games: Truxton, Mahjong Cop Ryuu: Shiro Ookami no Yabou, Herzog Zwei, Sword of Vermilion, Golden Axe (Dec. 1989)

(Archive.org)
Party like it's 1989 with the first Genesis games of 1990, as well as one of the rarest games in history! Games: Curse, Tetris, Shove It!...The Warehouse Game, Sorcerian, Pat Riley Basketball (Dec. 1989 - Mar. 1990)

(Archive.org)
Taito and Asmik join the Mega Drive family, and the first (?) analog game pad for consoles is released! Games: The NewZealand Story, Air Diver, Target Earth, After Burner II, James "Buster" Douglas Knockout Boxing (Mar. 1990)

(Archive.org)
Kaneko and Renovation arrive on the scene, while Project Million Seller is born! Games: Darwin 4081, Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom, Psy-O-Blade, DJ Boy, Whip Rush (Apr. 1990 - May 1990)

(Archive.org)
Sunsoft's debut, the first online game, and the first Mega Drive game from 'murica! Games: Tel Tel Mahjong, Thunder Force III, Twin Hawk, Columns, Ghostbusters (Jun. 1990)

(Archive.org)
Sega has Visions of Nintendo Power as EA and Namco join the fray! Games: Populous, Budokan: The Martial Spirit, ESWAT: City Under Siege, Phelios, Batman (Jun. 1990 - Jul. 1990)

(Archive.org)
Razorsoft and Sage's Creation join the publisher ranks in the summer of 1990. Games: Cyberball, Super Monaco GP, Rastan Saga II, Shadow Warriors, Stormlord (Jul. 1990 - Aug. 1990)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DpXdaJBHZ4(Archive.org)
The King of Pop appears as Montana's fumbled. Games: Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, XDR: X-Dazedly-Ray, Zany Golf, Insector-X, Space Invaders '91 (Aug. 1990 - Sept. 1990)

Episode 013 (YouTube)(Archive.org)

It is the '90s, and there is time for 8 mega power! Games: Klax, Hellfire, Strider, Dick Tracy, Klax (Sept. 1990 - Oct. 1990)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swO36Lc2PBE(Archive.org)

Sega enters the portable console wars! Games: Rainbow Islands: The Story of Bubble Bobble II, Bimini Run, Final Zone, Slaughter Sport, Burning Force (Oct. 1990)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlQ86N8zmLY(Archive.org)

The Mega Drive goes online, big changes at Sega of America! Games: Tel-Tel Stadium, Dynamite Duke, Putter Golf, Fire Shark, John Madden Football, Granada (Oct. 1990 - Nov. 1990)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeDaWVp7A6I(Archive.org)

The Mega Drive's biggest competition is unleashed in Japan! Games: The Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, Ishido: The Way of Stones, Megapanel, Trampoline Terror!, Junction (Nov. 1990)

Posted · Report post

Needs less Sega

Posted · Report post

Just finished watching. Awesome video! Back in those days I was pretty much only a Nintendo person so I missed out on a lot of the Sega goodness until later. It's great to get all the history and other tidbits about some of these classic games.

Looking forward to future episodes!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I love this and everything about this. It's informative, visually appealing, and historically accurate. You're giving your opinions in a way that isn't combative and its hard to argue with your points. Altered Beast is generally slammed as a bad game on the Genesis, but its both historically significant and fun to play to boot. It can be finished quickly, but generally speaking, that's all I'm looking for in most retro games these days.

Hell, I frequently pick up Atari 2600, Commodore 64 and NES games that can be completed in even less time than it takes to go from start to finish in Altered Beast and think its money well spent. Game length isn't an important aspect to me when it comes to retro gaming. I can see how some may disagree though so take my comments with a grain of salt.

You really did an excellent job here. By all means, please do more of these. I'll watch everything you do as long as you keep up this quality.

I knew some things about the Megadrive's early days I didn't realize the Alex Kidd differences. I've always been more of a Nintendo guy than a Sega, but I had a Genesis growing up and quickly bought into the Sega CD hype, and enjoyed the GameArts games like Lunar, Silpheed and even Popful Mail all in their prime. I wish I had've been more careful with my discs though, as almost all my Sega CD games are now horribly scratched up and impossible to play ever again. I still have my CDX, but I only ever play CD games in emulation these days.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I really love this Greg. I'm going to recommend it on some other forums if you don't mind.

Edited by Satoshi_Matrix

Posted · Report post

Absolutely. Recommend away!

And thanks for the kind words.

Posted · Report post

That was great. I didn't know most of what you presented. I look forward to the next installment. As for suggestions I'd like to see a video all about the Ngage QD.

Posted · Report post

Great job Greg! Keep 'em coming.

Posted · Report post

Fantastic Greg, I've always been more of a Sega arcade lover than their home ports or original titles but you showed off some good stuff here. Damn Altered Beast looks rough compared to its arcade version (which is expected, obviously).

I look forward to the next edition!

Posted · Report post

Oh, this is a fuckin magic idea man. I'l give it a watch tonight with a few drinks in me, get myself a good ole one man saturnalia going. This could possibly replace chrontendo as the video's I wash my genitals to in the bath!

Posted · Report post

Until about 5 years ago or so, I thought the Genesis was released in 1991 in the USA when Sonic came out. I thought Sonic was a launch title. My best friend got one that Christmas. I was the poor sap that asked for a TG16 in 1991. There were some awesome games for it though.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm very impressed, Greg (and Kirbutashi, and everyone else who contributed)! The level of polish on the first episode is fantastic, and I liked the unique selection of games that were covered. I had never even heard of Osomatsu-kun, so it was especially fun to see that game in action. You were a tad too easy on Alex Kidd, though. That game is terrible!

Watching that made me want to play Space Harrier II again, if only to hear more of that awesome first stage music.

Edited by Chairman Steve

Posted · Report post

So, Greg, what's the timeline on Episode 2? ;)

Posted · Report post

It's already underway. This time I don't need to research release dates or publisher/developer data, or relearn how to use things like After Effects and Premiere Pro. :)

Posted · Report post

Too long, didn't watch.

:>

Posted · Report post

Very nice, Sewart.

Posted · Report post

Neato!

Posted · Report post

I liked the first few minutes and look forward to finishing it up when I have more time. Keep it up, Greg!

Posted · Report post

great job Greg

Posted · Report post

Thanks guys.

Work is moving along pretty quickly for episode 2. Hopefully I'll get it out before Christmas.

Posted · Report post

Posted · Report post

I finally got the opportunity to watch the full video - good stuff!

If I could offer a bit of advice - it's clear from the podcast that you LOVE the Sega that was but that doesn't come across in the video.

Posted · Report post

I'd like to think I was somehow responsible for that, then. :)

Posted · Report post

The first game of Episode 2 has been roughed out. And the next four shouldn't take nearly as long.