#41 brokenFUN

brokenFUN

Hermie Hopperhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • PSN: brokenFUN

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:08 PM

Posted ImageAWW Nintendo and there furry creatures. lol.

#42 brokenFUN

brokenFUN

Hermie Hopperhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • PSN: brokenFUN

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:14 PM

MAN > DONKEY KONG

#43 probune

probune

Elitist

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,035 posts
  • Xbox Live: probune
  • Wii: 8338 9162 1499 9590
  • PSN: probune
  • STEAM ID: probune

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:15 PM

wat

#44 Kirbutashi

Kirbutashi

Don't fuck with this senator!

• Administrators
  • 7,849 posts
  • Xbox Live: Kirbutashi
  • Wii U / NNID:Kirbutashi
  • Wii: 4591-0447-7245-4168
  • PSN: Kirbutashi

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:33 PM

This game was strictly a coop experience for me. I never really got into, though. This and SMRPG with their plastic aesthetics were never my cup of tea, and DKC always felt off to me. Somehow, I got a little more out of DKC2, but I didn't bother to beat that either; I also hated the animal controls. And I never touched DKC3.

THIS TOPIC SHOULD BE ABOUT DK 98 FOR GAME BOY, THE SUPERIOR DONKEY KONG GAME.

Also, I demand a Futurama audio clip about Donkey Kong next week. MONKEYS AREN'T DONKEYS.

Also, in before the DK/EGM stories.

#45 Banzaiaap

Banzaiaap

Bomberman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Xbox Live: Banzaiaap

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:18 AM

Aww.. Why all the hate for this game? :(

This is one of the greatest games I played on my SNES back in the time (Along with Super Mario World). I remember it having great graphics, music and the enviroment was really awesome and diverse. From shiny caves filled with bananas and giant Bees to the Snowy mountains in the latter levels to the mines and the industrial levels.

The only really bad point of the game is the final boss battle.. The only thing I couldn't beat back then.. :( Also, the lack of savepoints in the beginning can be somewhat disseapointing if you want to play a quick game from the start..
Posted Image

Hacker Alias Thomas of Finga.

#46 Brennzky

Brennzky

The Great Brennzky

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Xbox Live: Brennzky
  • PSN: Brennzky

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:35 AM

This game was awesome back in the day, and I still play it quite often. However I was dissapointed when I finished it. YOu see I had no idea that the % meant the % of levels AND bonus levels found. So I got to the end at like just over 50%, and was dissapointed it was over. I though I had another half a game ahead of me :(

Music is great, but for the first DKC game when I play it now a days, its kinda shallow. Not much to it, compared to the content that mario had ( Two exits for worlds, secret levels, etc.) Hiding bonus levels in each level was cool, but secret worlds and levels kick ass. I got this game for x-mas in 1994, and I must say the graphics blew me away, but in the end they had to sacrifice the length of the game. You gotta admit its a short game, but the sequels are better in terms of length.

To sum it up, DKC1, and the sequels were really the first and last great platformers for DK. His venture into 3d has been poor, and cannot have his own game these days without those bongos or some shitty gimick.

Kirbutashi was right, Donkey Kong for the GB is the best DK game ever made.

Posted Image

#47 marshallbanana

marshallbanana

Bomberman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • PSN: marshallbanana6
  • STEAM ID: marshallbanana6

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:48 AM

I totally forgot about DK for the GB, man that was a really great game!

I too am a lover, not a hater of DKC. I always loved the graphics, which for a platformer on the Super NES were only surpassed by Yoshi's Island.

The main draw of DKC back when I was young was the co-op play. I spent hours and hours playing through this game with my brother and my friends. In fact the only game we played more on SNES was Secret of Mana - for the same reason. This remains true today - my wife and I play DKC and DKC2 together as much as anything else we play (together).

The controls are tight, the levels are detailed and have a lot of secrets, and the music and sound effects are so wonderfully hokey. These games really defined the new aesthetic of the Donkey Kong universe, giving DK a little more personality as a big goofy ape. I think this is one of the major dividing forces between the lovers and haters of the game - it seems that most people who really hate it hate what Rare did to DK.

Great game! Two was even better! Please don't hate DK!

Edited by marshallbanana, 03 April 2008 - 09:49 AM.

#48 Outlaw Moogle

Outlaw Moogle

Rude.

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Xbox Live: Outlulz Mugle

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:23 AM

There wasn't even a Donkey Kong game released in 1998.

#49 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,871 posts
  • Xbox Live: levitynyc
  • Wii U / NNID:levitynyc
  • PSN: levitynyc
  • STEAM ID: levitynyc

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:45 AM

Funny thing about dkc is that with the exception of 1 or 2 levels I never used donkey
Posted Image

Remember kids: Friends don't let friends buy Bose.

#50 Kirbutashi

Kirbutashi

Don't fuck with this senator!

• Administrators
  • 7,849 posts
  • Xbox Live: Kirbutashi
  • Wii U / NNID:Kirbutashi
  • Wii: 4591-0447-7245-4168
  • PSN: Kirbutashi

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:21 PM

There wasn't even a Donkey Kong game released in 1998.

Its so superior it transcends reality and has a four year span of release. :|

#51 JDUB X

JDUB X

Howard the Duck

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • Xbox Live: JDUB XL
  • PSN: JDUB_X

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:04 PM

Funny thing about dkc is that with the exception of 1 or 2 levels I never used donkey

Diddy is way more agile, using Donkey in some cases is certain death

#52 osu tatakae aaron

osu tatakae aaron

Blood Wake

• Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Xbox Live: OsuTatakaeAaron
  • Wii: 6195852352801432

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:30 PM

I just called in, a little drunk.
Posted Image

#53 Outlaw Moogle

Outlaw Moogle

Rude.

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:57 PM

I just called in, a little drunk.

Posted Image

#54 osu tatakae aaron

osu tatakae aaron

Blood Wake

• Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Xbox Live: OsuTatakaeAaron
  • Wii: 6195852352801432

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:03 PM

haha, IF ONLY.
Posted Image

#55 mrplaid

mrplaid

BANNED

• Super Old Timer
  • 4,286 posts
  • Xbox Live: mrplaid
  • PSN: mrplaidofantioch

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:09 PM

MAN > DONKEY KONG

MAN ... IS DONKEY KONG?

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#56 Van Hammersly

Van Hammersly

Hermie Hopperhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:00 AM

So while my favorite DKC game is by far number 2, this game still kicked so much ass at the time.  In fact, I still think it is a pretty good game, although the boss battles lacked variety compared to say, Yoshi's Island (Oh look, the stockpile of bananas background!  Oh, and for this boss, you stomp on his head!)  But who can forget the fake credits sequence?  Or the numerous animal buddies?  Or those damn mine cart levels?

But, as many other people have noted, the most endearing part of the game is the music.  I've always loved "Life in The Mines" (from Winky's Walkway, among other levels).  That pan-flute lead gets me every time.  In fact, the composer for the game, David Wise, has a solid history.  He's worked on DKC 1-3 as well as Battletoads, Wizards and Warriors, and Phil's favorite game, Anticipation (which DID have some catchy music, you must admit).

Oh, I also still have a copy of the "DKC Exposed" vid somewhere.  I used to think it was so EXTREME and TOTALLY IN MY FACE!!!!! But looking back on it now...someone please slap that host.

#57 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,871 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:42 AM

The mine kart levels were my favorite levels. I used to play them over and over again, laughing the whole time.

My least favorite level in the game is Trick Track Trek
Posted Image

#58 probune

probune

Elitist

• Super Old Timer
  • 8,035 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:48 AM

Just so you guys know, exodus is right now on neogaf arguing that DKC2 is the best 2d platformer ever made. Discuss.

Also,

I just realized you're talking about a game I've actually played. I definitely agree with this. One of the few Nintendo games I played back in the day.

#59 GUNBLADER

GUNBLADER

Has Best Taste In Games

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • PSN: Gunblader_

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:01 PM

Just so you guys know, exodus is right now on neogaf arguing that DKC2 is the best 2d platformer ever made. Discuss.

He's seriously argueing Diddy's Kong Quest is the best platformer... ever? Well, actually that's probably in my top 5.

Talking about DKC, I just can't get enough of the music. I know I already said it was great, but this is probably one of my favorite soundtracks ever. Everything from the cool bonus level music to the haunting water level music; it's all amazing. My only real complaint is the art direction, Rare's big-eyed art style is pretty ugly (although I did think the game looked amazing when I was 8)

#60 ex0du5

ex0du5

Treasure Hunter

• Super Old Timer
  • 6,889 posts
  • PSN: TheExodu5

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:31 PM

I never said it's the greatest platformer ever, as I clearly stated that Super Mario World is my favorite. However, I think DKC2 is worthy of the top 3.

Personally, it's my second favorite after SMW, and I played it for the first time last year! This isn't nostalgia talking.

Diddy was definitely more useful. However, Donkey was important when it came to facing Armydillos and Klobbas. Thankfully, team play was far more important in DKC2, where you often needed one or the other (or both in some cases) to access some of the secrets.

Really, anyone who's interested in DKC should definitely get DKC2, it's easily the best of the three. If you thought DKC got boring, you should find this one better...there's a lot of variety in the levels. Be warned though: the game is very difficulty. One of the harder platformers out there (at least out of the ones I've played).

As for the game itself, it's not exactly for everyone. As I've said on neogaf, DKC is more of a "twitch" platformer. It's a simple and straightforward platformer which relies on quick platforming and reflexes. The first is a solid platformer. The second really evolved by offering so much level diversity, especially since you could now transform into the animals themselves. While there are quite a few secrets in the levels, the game doesn't rely on exploration like Yoshi's Island and Sonic.

#61 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,871 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:23 AM

DKC3 is friggin tough. Its not easy by any stretch
Posted Image

#62 probune

probune

Elitist

• Super Old Timer
  • 8,035 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:28 AM

I never said it's the greatest platformer ever, as I clearly stated that Super Mario World is my favorite. However, I think DKC2 is worthy of the top 3.

Personally, it's my second favorite after SMW, and I played it for the first time last year! This isn't nostalgia talking.
Diddy was definitely more useful. However, Donkey was important when it came to facing Armydillos and Klobbas. Thankfully, team play was far more important in DKC2, where you often needed one or the other (or both in some cases) to access some of the secrets.

Really, anyone who's interested in DKC should definitely get DKC2, it's easily the best of the three. If you thought DKC got boring, you should find this one better...there's a lot of variety in the levels. Be warned though: the game is very difficulty. One of the harder platformers out there (at least out of the ones I've played).

As for the game itself, it's not exactly for everyone. As I've said on neogaf, DKC is more of a "twitch" platformer. It's a simple and straightforward platformer which relies on quick platforming and reflexes. The first is a solid platformer. The second really evolved by offering so much level diversity, especially since you could now transform into the animals themselves. While there are quite a few secrets in the levels, the game doesn't rely on exploration like Yoshi's Island and Sonic.

After reading billions of your posts about DKC2 I'm finally going to play it. Hopefully I won't get 5 levels in and get mind numbingly bored.

#63 ex0du5

ex0du5

Treasure Hunter

• Super Old Timer
  • 6,889 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:54 AM

After reading billions of your posts about DKC2 I'm finally going to play it. Hopefully I won't get 5 levels in and get mind numbingly bored.

Hopefully you don't get bored. I don't know...maybe I have an unreasonable love for this kind of gameplay. Let me know what you think. Try to get to the second world though before passing judgement. The first world is pretty easy and linear...the next worlds vary it up considerably.

#64 SwimOdin

SwimOdin

Water is very harmful for draculas

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • Xbox Live: SwimOdin
  • Wii U / NNID:SwimOdin
  • PSN: SwimOdin
  • STEAM ID: SwimOdin

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:01 AM

The best thing about Donkey Kong Country?

Yoshi's Island.

Nintendo wanted Miyamoto to use the same (crappy) graphics style for a game, but he bucked at the idea and went with the more crayon style of Yoshi's Island. It's infinitely more playable than DKC.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#65 ex0du5

ex0du5

Treasure Hunter

• Super Old Timer
  • 6,889 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:09 AM

Nintendo wanted Miyamoto to use the same (crappy) graphics style for a game, but he bucked at the idea and went with the more crayon style of Yoshi's Island. It's infinitely more playable than DKC.

Subjective opinion. I don't like Yoshi's Island near as much because I find the levels lack focus and the controls are very loose. It's still one of my favorite platformers, mainly because the bosses are so fun, but I don't quite like it as much as DKC2.

Hmmm...I should pick up YI on the Virtual Console. I need to get the bad taste of YI DS out of my mouth. Maybe YI DS has ruined my memories of YI.

#66 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,871 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:05 AM

I thought I was the only one who thought YI DS was off.

I do hate the BEE Hive Levels in DKC 2 though...
Posted Image

#67 Outlaw Moogle

Outlaw Moogle

Rude.

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:54 AM

The thought that anyone would find a DKC game to be superior to Yoshi's Island leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

#68 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,871 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:16 PM

The thought that anyone would find a DKC game to be superior to Yoshi's Island leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Fine. I'll say it. DKC2 is BETTER than Yoshi's island.

HA!

Its got better music, better levels, better graphics.
Posted Image

#69 ex0du5

ex0du5

Treasure Hunter

• Super Old Timer
  • 6,889 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:34 PM

Its got better music, better levels, better graphics.

+ tight controls + lack of fucking crybaby Mario.

And yeah, YI DS was totally off. It's basically the same as YI, but with horrendously overcomplicated levels. I find the levels in Yoshi's Island remind me a lot of NSMB, for some reason. They lack direction and focus. The castles and boss battles make up for it though.

#70 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,871 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:42 PM

+ tight controls + lack of fucking crybaby Mario.

And yeah, YI DS was totally off. It's basically the same as YI, but with horrendously overcomplicated levels. I find the levels in Yoshi's Island remind me a lot of NSMB, for some reason. They lack direction and focus. The castles and boss battles make up for it though.

Yeah I thought that too The levels took forever to get through. I just want to beat a level for God's sake. IF you wanna throw collectathon out there as a criticism to DKC...start with red coins and smiley daisies on DS mario games.
Posted Image

#71 probune

probune

Elitist

• Super Old Timer
  • 8,035 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

I just thought Yoshi's Island 2 was far too difficult. I enjoyed it a bit until I got to the most frustratingly difficult parts of a 2d platformer that I've played since I was a kid.

#72 ex0du5

ex0du5

Treasure Hunter

• Super Old Timer
  • 6,889 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:40 PM

I just thought Yoshi's Island 2 was far too difficult. I enjoyed it a bit until I got to the most frustratingly difficult parts of a 2d platformer that I've played since I was a kid.

Didn't help that most of the difficulty from YI2 was just cheap. Controls are too loose, and levels are too frustratingly long. The only levels in DKC2 that truly feel cheep are the bramble and hive levels when you're flying Squawk.

#73 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,871 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:37 PM

Didn't help that most of the difficulty from YI2 was just cheap. Controls are too loose, and levels are too frustratingly long. The only levels in DKC2 that truly feel cheep are the bramble and hive levels when you're flying Squawk.

Agreed
Posted Image

#74 marshallbanana

marshallbanana

Bomberman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:21 PM

Subjective opinion. I don't like Yoshi's Island near as much because I find the levels lack focus and the controls are very loose. It's still one of my favorite platformers, mainly because the bosses are so fun, but I don't quite like it as much as DKC2.

Hmmm...I should pick up YI on the Virtual Console. I need to get the bad taste of YI DS out of my mouth. Maybe YI DS has ruined my memories of YI.

Well, you can't pick it up on the Virtual Console because it is as yet unavailable.

The controls in YI are not loose, Yoshi is just a lot more floaty than the characters in the DKC games.

I agree Yoshi's Island DS is not nearly as good as the original! But seriously, all the things you say "lacked focus, too long, etc." are not necessarily bad things. What you see as Yoshi's Island lacking focus, I might see as it allowing for (slight) exploration. It just depends on how linear an experience you want. If you go back and play the original Yoshi's Island you will see that it hits the perfect balance of subtly letting you know what you need to do but allowing you to test the boundaries.

The only bad part was the annoying crying.

I love DKC2, and I can see how some people might like it better than Yoshi's Island. I however would rank Yoshi's Island higher than any of the DKC games on SNES. It's just plain beautiful.

#75 probune

probune

Elitist

• Super Old Timer
  • 8,035 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:33 PM

Remember, Exodus does hate exploration. He hates freedom. He lives in Canada. :P

#76 ex0du5

ex0du5

Treasure Hunter

• Super Old Timer
  • 6,889 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:46 AM

I agree Yoshi's Island DS is not nearly as good as the original! But seriously, all the things you say "lacked focus, too long, etc." are not necessarily bad things. What you see as Yoshi's Island lacking focus, I might see as it allowing for (slight) exploration. It just depends on how linear an experience you want. If you go back and play the original Yoshi's Island you will see that it hits the perfect balance of subtly letting you know what you need to do but allowing you to test the boundaries.

Yeah it's basically my personal taste. I enjoy the speed and simplicity that comes from a linear platformer, as long as it has good level design.

I love DKC2, and I can see how some people might like it better than Yoshi's Island. I however would rank Yoshi's Island higher than any of the DKC games on SNES. It's just plain beautiful.

Can't disagree with you that Yoshi's Island looks beautiful. It's definitely held up better than DKC graphics. wise.

That's one thing I might expect people to hate DKC2 for, is the pretty dark color palette used for the game. The game's quite dark compared to DKC1. I suppose DKC3 kind of goes back to a more simple look. DKC3 was quite good as I remember, but I didn't like Baby Kong at all.

#77 marshallbanana

marshallbanana

Bomberman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:33 AM

I suppose DKC3 kind of goes back to a more simple look. DKC3 was quite good as I remember, but I didn't like Baby Kong at all.

I never gave 3 a chance for that very reason.

#78 Guy Legend

Guy Legend

Solid Snake

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • PSN: InfiniteLegend8

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:34 PM

Being a hardcore Genesis kid, I never played Donkey Kong Country back in the day (My first DK experience was buying Donkey Kong 64). But I have vivid memories of seeing it in the stores and being impressed with its visuals.

Playing it now, I have to agree with what was said on the podcast. First, the graphics haven't aged well...mostly due to pixally characters. The actual game sucks. The platforming isn't much fun, the enemies are terrible, and the feeling of going from point A to point B was well said in describing this game. I will add however that the music is phenomenal.

A good tech demo showing what the SNES could do, and keeping it relevant in the market beyond the Genesis. But beyond that, it's just an average game. I'm sort of dissapointed. I always thought it was a really good game beyond the visuals, but playing it for the first time has left me unimpressed. I just played the Sonic Genesis games very recently and this just seems slow and boring by comparison....

Blast processing FTW. :lol:

Edited by Guy Legend, 10 April 2008 - 11:36 PM.

#79 Satoshi_Matrix

Satoshi_Matrix

Sewer Shark

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

Donkey Kong Country is amazing game - as is the GB Donkey Kong Land, and the highly impressive GBC port. The GBA version is I think the weakest of the bunch, but it's still a fair game on its own. The SNES version of this game was stolen by a naighbour when I was a kid (that bastard! I know who you are and I'm comming to get ya) and I didn't have a chance to reaquire it until just last year. I played it through on my ol' SNES, and you know, I think the game shows the most age in not its visuals, control, or level design, but in its sheer difficulty. I'm not sure youngin's today would be very good at this game. It taxes my skills that I grew up with, and I love it for that. Not many other platformers I can think of do it in the way DKC does.

#80 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,871 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:22 PM

I lent my copy of DKC3 to one of my ex gf's when I was 15 or 16 and I never got it back.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users