• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,863 posts
  • Xbox Live: levitynyc
  • Wii U / NNID:levitynyc
  • PSN: levitynyc
  • STEAM ID: levitynyc

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:14 AM

I run an online and retail store and while no one likes returns, this is just ridiculous. I get people who buy a 150 dollar item from me that has a full warranty for 1 year or longer. 6 months later the item needs repair and the first thing they do is to call me. I usually calmly explain that you must go through the manufacturer for warranty repair and ill offer them their phone #. Many times I get the response "Well, I bought it from you" Who gives a shit. WTF do they want me to do? Often times they want me to eat the money and just replace it for free. Why the fuck would I do that? What retailer does? I'm not going to take the loss and try to sell a used item if I send it in myself. If you buy a Samsung LCD in Best Buy and it breaks 6 months later,. are they going to take it back? NO! Don't give me the arguement "Well in the long run you'll make your money back with customer loyalty" its not true. Profit margins are so low that even if they person was a lifelong customer, I'd never make the money back.

What set me off this morning was someone who called me and said they bought an item from me in September. A part broke 4 months later and needed replacement or just a single part.. They called the manufacturer last week for a replacement part and were told the part was backordered until February 5th. They told me that this is ridiculous and wanted to return the product. I am not going to eat the 300 dollars for the cost of a product that is no longer in sellable condition. It was an elliptical machine that was fully assembled with no box. What am I a fucking charity? I understand the whole "the customer is always right" mentality, but through the years customers have taken this to the absolute extreme to a point where retailers are taken advantage of. Absolutely ridiculous and it drives me nuts.
Posted Image

Remember kids: Friends don't let friends buy Bose.

#2 Cheesecake Jones

Cheesecake Jones

Mega Man

• Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Xbox Live: CheesecakeJones
  • Wii: 6676.1654.9534.0579
  • PSN: Cheesecake_Jones

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:46 AM

Having spent many years in retail I can attest that customers suck! They're selfish jerks that have no consideration for you or your business. They say that "the customer's always right," but in reality we know that the customer is usually WRONG. Keep fighting the good fight!
"Stop eating people's old French fries, pigeon! Have some self respect! Don't you know you can fly?"

PSN: Cheesecake_Jones
XBN: CheesecakeJones
Twitter: CheesecakeJones
Wii: 6676.1654.9534.0579

Posted ImagePosted Image
PS3 Trophies

#3 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,863 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for your support
Posted Image

#4 DogsWithJobs

DogsWithJobs

Super Mario

• Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:03 AM

Although my retail career was very short lived I can attest for this. I worked at Canadian Tire(for those who aren't familiar it is basically a retail store that specializes in auto parts and tools, however also has sports, seasonal, and housewares departments). I worked in the hardware department then the housewares department(it included electronics.... although I did deal with the cleaning supplies as well :(). Not all, but most customers were pretty stupid, and the people working the returns were pretty stupid to because we would get back some stuff that you should never take back. I mean come on, an open pack of batteries, no one in their right mind would buy that. Chances are that the person just swapped the new ones with dead ones and brought them back.

Of course batteries are not a big ticket item like you mentioned, but still no one will buy a repackaged item when there are brand new ones to be bought.

#5 StinkingBishop

StinkingBishop

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:08 AM

The problem here is Walmart. I am being serious.

You can take anything back to them and they wont put up a hassle for it. They will ask you what was wrong with it but they don't care. In November I was returning some still in the package garbage bags since i bought the wrong size. Really it was more of an exchange since I was going to buy the correct size. In the line in front of me some guy was returning a toy in a box that was ripped, and obviously played with,with no receipt. They took it since they carried it.

This is not the first time I seen this at Walmart. Or Home Depot. My wife worked at a clothing store int he past that would take stuff back no matter what. They where instructed to just take it back.

You did the right thing. And I am also on your side. Big Box stores are making to harder for the little guy, even in other industries.

#6 Wenny

Wenny

Non compos mentis

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,073 posts
  • Xbox Live: W3nny
  • Wii U / NNID:Moondoggy
  • PSN: Wenny
  • STEAM ID: scotryder

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

Which website? I want to buy something so I can call you in 9 months to have you replace it. ;)

Seriously though, humans can be just plain ridiculous...and entitled humans are the worst.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 mik

mik

Q*Bert

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,178 posts
  • Xbox Live: mik
  • PSN: mik

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:01 PM

Often times they want me to eat the money and just replace it for free. Why the fuck would I do that? What retailer does?

Wal Mart, Target, Sam's Club, Costco, Nordstrom, Sears, ... People get used to that kind of policy and then expect that it's going to be the norm.
Posted Image

#8 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,863 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:09 PM

Which explains why my company makes money and Sears is taking it in the ass.
Posted Image

#9 Cheesecake Jones

Cheesecake Jones

Mega Man

• Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Xbox Live: CheesecakeJones
  • Wii: 6676.1654.9534.0579
  • PSN: Cheesecake_Jones

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:13 PM

Wal Mart, Target, Sam's Club, Costco, Nordstrom, Sears...

Yeah, but those big retailers can write off "defective" merchandise and get reimbursed the next time they order from the manufacturer. They're taking a short-term hit in cost that they get back later. Places that don't have that option (Old Navy, The Gap) tend to be a little jerkier about their returns.
"Stop eating people's old French fries, pigeon! Have some self respect! Don't you know you can fly?"

PSN: Cheesecake_Jones
XBN: CheesecakeJones
Twitter: CheesecakeJones
Wii: 6676.1654.9534.0579

Posted ImagePosted Image
PS3 Trophies

#10 ness08

ness08

Snatcher

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Xbox Live: EarthBNess07
  • PSN: ness06
  • STEAM ID: profanedic

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:00 PM

So glad I don't work retail anymore. Thank you for reminding me why I hated so many people in the past, but I am sometimes part of the problem. I have taken stuff back to Wal-Mart even though I knew they weren't supposed to take it back

#11 JDUB X

JDUB X

Howard the Duck

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • Xbox Live: JDUB XL
  • PSN: JDUB_X

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

Best Buy used to offer a real in store replacement warranty where you could return a broken system in store for both years. Recently though they changed it to a 1st Year Manufacturer and 2nd Year In store money back warranty.

No store in my knowledge currently has an actual warranty system that allows the product to be returned to the store in the first year any more.

#12 ness08

ness08

Snatcher

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Xbox Live: EarthBNess07
  • PSN: ness06
  • STEAM ID: profanedic

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:33 PM

No, but if your sneaky you can switch stuff like with the battery situation described above (no serial numbers though)

#13 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,863 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:19 PM

Another favorite of mine is people return a product that they don't like and dont want to pay for return shipping.
Posted Image

#14 ProfGasCan

ProfGasCan

Hermie Hopperhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • PSN: ilpalazzo150

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:33 PM

I've worked in retail for a majority of my working career. The store I work for recently adapted the policy of "take it back no matter what," but they take it to a huge extreme. Apparently, you can even return product that you no longer have in your possession. For example, someone could come in and say they bought a rib roast from us for $45 and that it was horrible. With no receipt and no roast, that person could get their money back in the form of store credit. It's the most ridiculous thing they've ever done.

Another favorite of mine is the honoring of advertisements for coupons as if they were actual coupons. That one rendered me speechless.

#15 mrplaid

mrplaid

BANNED

• Super Old Timer
  • 4,286 posts
  • Xbox Live: mrplaid
  • PSN: mrplaidofantioch

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:09 AM

Seeing as how you run an online store, can you explain the concept of restocking fees to me? I once ordered some equipment from a smaller outfit for my old job, but what we ended up with didn't work with our existing equipment. The company wanted us to pay a pretty hefty restocking fee, but my boss basically said "F that" and never paid them.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#16 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,863 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:44 PM

Restocking fees are fees for repacking and shipping. In actuality they are fees because I already accounted for the sale in my accounting and I dont like losing money.
Posted Image

#17 Wenny

Wenny

Non compos mentis

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,073 posts
  • Xbox Live: W3nny
  • Wii U / NNID:Moondoggy
  • PSN: Wenny
  • STEAM ID: scotryder

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

Restocking fees also discourage friends of mine from charging up 3-4 LCD TVs, using them for the weekend LAN party, and then returning them.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 KinectFan

KinectFan

Awesome Bro

• Super Old Timer
  • 6,230 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:52 AM

I run an online and retail store and while no one likes returns, this is just ridiculous. I get people who buy a 150 dollar item from me that has a full warranty for 1 year or longer. 6 months later the item needs repair and the first thing they do is to call me. I usually calmly explain that you must go through the manufacturer for warranty repair and ill offer them their phone #. Many times I get the response "Well, I bought it from you" Who gives a shit. WTF do they want me to do? Often times they want me to eat the money and just replace it for free. Why the fuck would I do that? What retailer does? I'm not going to take the loss and try to sell a used item if I send it in myself. If you buy a Samsung LCD in Best Buy and it breaks 6 months later,. are they going to take it back? NO! Don't give me the arguement "Well in the long run you'll make your money back with customer loyalty" its not true. Profit margins are so low that even if they person was a lifelong customer, I'd never make the money back.

What set me off this morning was someone who called me and said they bought an item from me in September. A part broke 4 months later and needed replacement or just a single part.. They called the manufacturer last week for a replacement part and were told the part was backordered until February 5th. They told me that this is ridiculous and wanted to return the product. I am not going to eat the 300 dollars for the cost of a product that is no longer in sellable condition. It was an elliptical machine that was fully assembled with no box. What am I a fucking charity? I understand the whole "the customer is always right" mentality, but through the years customers have taken this to the absolute extreme to a point where retailers are taken advantage of. Absolutely ridiculous and it drives me nuts.

I can definitely relate to this type of stuff in a general way. I don't work retail anymore, but I did for many years. Sometimes customers just take that "customers always right" mentality waaaay too far. Sounds like you're being fair about it.

#19 I AM JOHN!

I AM JOHN!

World class thread derailment.

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Xbox Live: FreakmanJ
  • PSN: FreakmanJ
  • STEAM ID: I AM JOHN!

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:21 PM

I think it was Clerks that had the prophetic line: "the customer is always an asshole."
Posted Image

#20 mik

mik

Q*Bert

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,178 posts
  • Xbox Live: mik
  • PSN: mik

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:48 PM

Mallrats. But close.
Posted Image

#21 Channel Ocho

Channel Ocho

Ico

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Xbox Live: Channel Ocho
  • PSN: Channel Ocho

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:17 PM

I worked a phone survey job, and we did them for GM. Some of the stuff people were mad about was ridiculous. Expecting to get repairs paid for when being like 20,000 miles out of warranty.

Posted Image

#22 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,863 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

my brother in law worked for Pep Boys and someone wanted them to honor a tire warranty when there was clearly a nail sticking in it.
Posted Image

#23 Channel Ocho

Channel Ocho

Ico

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Xbox Live: Channel Ocho
  • PSN: Channel Ocho

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:56 PM

:lol: What an idiot.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic