Photo

Beyond Good & Evil (GameCube, PC, PS2, Xbox)

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 Owozifa

Owozifa

New Age Retro Hippie

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts
  • Xbox Live: Owozifa
  • Wii U / NNID:Owozifa
  • PSN: Owozifa
  • STEAM ID: Owozifa

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Persons attempting to find a Motive in the above post will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a Moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a Point in it will be shot.

Posted Image

#42 Kirbutashi

Kirbutashi

Don't fuck with this senator!

• Administrators
  • 7,849 posts
  • Xbox Live: Kirbutashi
  • Wii U / NNID:Kirbutashi
  • Wii: 4591-0447-7245-4168
  • PSN: Kirbutashi

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:44 AM

What does your animal detector show?

#43 Owozifa

Owozifa

New Age Retro Hippie

• Super Old Timer
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:44 PM

...oh.

That thing.

Right.

I guess I missed the DomZ sea serpent boss, and I knew there was a head of one in a cave, but I didn't think dead things counted because you can't take a picture of the cow in the freezer. But yeah, I totally forgot I had that thing because I just assumed it showed you where animals were, not just ones you haven't photographed yet.
Persons attempting to find a Motive in the above post will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a Moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a Point in it will be shot.

Posted Image

#44 PlayerOneCJ

PlayerOneCJ

Player One God

• Root Admin
  • 7,513 posts
  • Xbox Live: FullmetalCJ
  • Wii U / NNID:SuperPac
  • Wii: 4598-7706-4684-7027
  • PSN: SuperPac

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:34 AM

I'm stuck again. In the factory. I placed one fuse, but nothing's working and I don't see any area where I can place the other fuse that I have in my inventory. I went 'round to that area with the dead cow(?) and it doesn't appear that there's anything to do in there... BLORGH.

Posted Image

#45 Kirbutashi

Kirbutashi

• Administrators
  • 7,849 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:57 AM

The dead cow area is really just a spot to get a pearl and some animals. The second fuse isn't used until you are on your way out of the factory. Have you met up with Double H yet?

#46 PlayerOneCJ

PlayerOneCJ

Player One God

• Root Admin
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:07 AM

The dead cow area is really just a spot to get a pearl and some animals. The second fuse isn't used until you are on your way out of the factory. Have you met up with Double H yet?

Yep, sure have. Did that whole thing. Now I'm supposed to take an elevator down. A non-working elevator at the moment.

Posted Image

#47 Kirbutashi

Kirbutashi

• Administrators
  • 7,849 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:22 AM

Have you already finished your report and beat the boss with Double H then? You don't need to use the broken service elevator a second time. You can just fall down in the room with the remaining functional service elevator. Maybe there is a barred gate nearby that you can ask Double H to headbutt down? I'm not quite sure where in the facility you are.

Just try to leave the facility once Double H is following you. And don't forget the pearl left behind by the first boss you encountered.

#48 PlayerOneCJ

PlayerOneCJ

Player One God

• Root Admin
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

Yep I've done that. But the game tells me I have to do something with fuses - the pearl left by the boss is in the water below me.

Posted Image

#49 Owozifa

Owozifa

New Age Retro Hippie

• Super Old Timer
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

Get in the hovercraft to get the pearl. As for the fuse...hard to say!

Posted Image

#50 PlayerOneStewy

PlayerOneStewy

Player One God

• Administrators
  • 7,315 posts
  • Xbox Live: CanadianStewy
  • PSN: stewy

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:03 PM

I seem to have stumbled upon a showstopping bug...

Spoiler

Upon checking the gamefaqs boards, it seems this is a pretty common occurrence. And I didn't keep any recent extra save file...

Guess I won't be finishing this anytime soon.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#51 Cambot

Cambot

Blood Wake

• Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Xbox Live: Super Cambot
  • Wii: 2438 6401 6567 0519
  • PSN: GiantSpider

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:20 PM

I seem to have stumbled upon a showstopping bug...

Spoiler

Upon checking the gamefaqs boards, it seems this is a pretty common occurrence. And I didn't keep any recent extra save file...

This is one of those "you-weren't-supposed-to-do-that" glitches. Have you tried dying in various areas? If that doesn't work, you can start over and get back to that area in about an hour now that you've just done everything.

330710.png

#52 PlayerOneStewy

PlayerOneStewy

Player One God

• Administrators
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:35 PM

Dying and restarting did not occur to me. I shall try that.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#53 PlayerOneStewy

PlayerOneStewy

Player One God

• Administrators
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

Nope. There's no way to do that at this point.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#54 Cambot

Cambot

Blood Wake

• Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:06 PM

Reset?

330710.png

#55 PlayerOneCJ

PlayerOneCJ

Player One God

• Root Admin
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:07 PM

This is going to be an interesting game club episode I think. Very curious to hear what the opinions are of this game. I hope to at least get pretty far in by this weekend. :)

Posted Image

#56 KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts
  • PSN: Knightattack
  • STEAM ID: KnightFall88

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:50 PM

I'm so pissed that Sony announced this game is coming out in May on PSN...oh well. I guess it'll be better anyways, so that it won't bother me during my exam time.

I still loved this game...but that's kinda obvious of me owning multiple copies of it. The flow of the game was just so interesting back in 2003, and it's so sad it was so badly shunned by Ubisoft and the Prince of Persia (first) reboot. The virtually no-marketing for this game hurt it so bad.

I remember picking it up at the Christmas after it came out, which was what? A month if I remember right? I was in Best Buy, not a huge amount of time after it had opened in my city. We were in there looking for Christmas presents, and I stumbled upon the game. I first played it back on an OPM demo disk...well....months before hand, and in the magazine, and ESPECIALLY on the OPM Forums, there was a great hype around the game. Everyone said it was something special, but no one was buying it. I remember buying it for $30....and was remarkably sad at how fast the price dropped.

There's just something special about the game, and to be honest, I'm still to this day, not exactly sure what it is. The story's great, the combat is standard, but yet something constantly draws me back to the game. Back when I first started University in 2006, I didn't bring my PS2 with me, and I really wanted to keep playing this game. I ended up picking up a copy for PC that was bundled with Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Operation: Desert Storm 2: Back to Baghdad, and a Championship Manager for $25, all brand new. Still was totallly worth it. That game brought me a great amount of joy, and I was able to introduce it to a lot more people on my floor. I really, really hope we get a sequel eventually...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#57 Owozifa

Owozifa

New Age Retro Hippie

• Super Old Timer
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:59 PM

When I played it, I think whatever undefinable thing that made me play it through to completion in three sittings or so really felt like whatever I really loved about Wind Waker as well. It's kind of undefinable for me. When I hit on an enjoyable game world that I just love exploring, I think that's what really gets me addicted, perhaps.

Posted Image

#58 Owozifa

Owozifa

New Age Retro Hippie

• Super Old Timer
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:32 PM

I'm surprised you didn't make a separate save before you
Spoiler
, since that seemed like an obvious Point Of No Return.

Super suck, though :/

Edited by Owozifa, 18 March 2011 - 01:17 AM.

Posted Image

#59 Cambot

Cambot

Blood Wake

• Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:07 AM

There's just something special about the game, and to be honest, I'm still to this day, not exactly sure what it is.

I know what you mean.

I'm surprised you didn't make a separate save before you went to the moon, since that seemed like an obvious Point Of No Return.

To the WHAATT?? Whoa... spoiler.

(Just kidding, I already beat it)

330710.png

#60 Owozifa

Owozifa

New Age Retro Hippie

• Super Old Timer
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:16 AM

You had me going D: for a second before I remembered why I knew from the beginning that you did, because the achievements spoil it.

So I don't feel guilty at all.

Posted Image

#61 Cambot

Cambot

Blood Wake

• Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:02 PM

If you're playing this game for the second time (like I am having just finished the GameCube version), there are things you notice which you wouldn't give a second thought to had you not already beaten it.

For instance, in the factory I just noticed that when Pey'j is helping Jade push a crate, he says:

Pey'j: "Yer gonna make me go and wear out my jet boots, Jade!"

Jade: (jokingly) "The latest style in...transportation!"

Pey'j: "That's not all, Jade... that's not all."

When you get near the end of the game, it becomes apparent what a big role the Jetboots (and Pey'j) play in the larger story. Such an awesome game.

330710.png

#62 PlayerOneStewy

PlayerOneStewy

Player One God

• Administrators
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:41 AM

Or I could just marathon the thing in one sitting.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#63 Owozifa

Owozifa

New Age Retro Hippie

• Super Old Timer
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

Or I could just marathon the thing in one sitting.

If CJ doesn't finish you are in a very good position for mocking, sir.

Posted Image

#64 Owozifa

Owozifa

New Age Retro Hippie

• Super Old Timer
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:09 PM

I've had some time now to ruminate upon my experience playing the game.

I know probably one of the things that's going to get brought up is the game is a little janky in parts. I definitely felt like it was a game of its time period. A lot of the issues and problems I ran into were not alien to me having recently played the older Ratchet and Clank games from around that time period on PS2. I had one instance where I broke away from the world and wound up stuck not being able to move, but that also happened once in Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando, so on the whole I didn't really feel it was that unpolished. I think Ratchet and Clank is a good comparison, since vehicle sections, the controls, and the camera, all just felt kind of like that to me.

That said, thinking about where Ratchet and Clank has gone since then, and was able to take what was good and really up the narrative and gameplay in this generation, that really gets me thinking about a Beyond Good and Evil sequel. There were lots of seeds planted here that I can see growing into something very awesome. After being glued to this game for its duration, I'm really left with a desire to see what that game would be if expanded upon today, because I don't think anybody has made that game yet, and I'm waiting to play it.

In fact, if I have one criticism it's that there's so little of the game. It's a strength that there are a million tiny details in this game world that I wanted to see expanded. Minor characters that have no purpose in the plot are interesting to me. I think a good example of one of those moments is (going to spoiler this even though it's barely one)
Spoiler

I guess what I mean is though the game is almost small in scope, every character felt like they had a backstory you just didn't know, and it felt refreshing to be in a game world that felt deeper than what you could see. It wasn't always presented with the utmost elegance, but this aspect is what makes me yearn for a sequel because I think it could be something really great.

Edited by Owozifa, 21 March 2011 - 03:10 PM.

Posted Image

#65 Satoshi_Matrix

Satoshi_Matrix

Sewer Shark

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:58 PM

Which is better, the Xbox 1 or Gamecube build? I don't have enough space for this on my 20 GB 360 HDD and would rather play the non-HD version. Also is the Xbox version 480p?

#66 PlayerOneStewy

PlayerOneStewy

Player One God

• Administrators
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:15 AM

I wanna say it was the Xbox version...but I'm not positive.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#67 dammitmattt

dammitmattt

I Love Nerd Points

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Xbox Live: dammitmattt
  • PSN: dammitmattt

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:09 AM

Game tape defeated with all achievement points. There were some minor annoyances here and there, but BG&E holds up as well as any game from last generation. I really enjoyed my time with the game and aside from the ridiculous inverted oversight, it's probably the best HD update yet. The environment, pacing, music, and art direction are just so different and unique. We need more games like this.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users