• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,861 posts
  • Xbox Live: levitynyc
  • Wii U / NNID:levitynyc
  • PSN: levitynyc
  • STEAM ID: levitynyc

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:30 AM

Figured I'd make a hockey topic that we all could discuss this year.

See if an admin can sticky this topic.

Anyways lets get down to business. The season is 2 weeks away and I couldn't be more excited. The Rangers look good in the preseason. The addition of Brad Richards is really going to work out well for the team and Marian Gaborik who tends to disappear in games.

The Rangers have a nice mixture of youth, veteran leadership, and a great goalie that is necessary to compete for a cup this year. The only thing I worry about is the youth of the defense corp and the Marc Staal injury which hopefully won't linger all season. I like the addition of Mike Rupp who is as tough as they come, but I wish they had a heavyweight fighter that could go head to head with the best of them. Prust has the heart of a heavyweight, but the size of a middleweight and I don't remember Rupp going head to head with the biggest guys in the league. The team will miss Boogaard and I wish they had someone in the minors who could step in and clean up the garbage

Love seeing Ryan Callahan get the "C" this year, although I'd have loved to see Dubinsky get an "A" instead of Richards. I can't wait to watch Rangers vs Flyers 24/7 this year. I want to get a better look at how Tortorella manages the team and how he deals with players like Avery and Christiansen who occasionally look so damn good and sometimes are in his dog house for weeks at a time.

While I am excited the Rangers will be in the Winter Classic this year, I am disappointed in the venue. Citizens Bank Park is a nice stadium, but just doesn't have the appeal of a football stadium or some iconic locations in NYC. I know Yankee Stadium has the stupid college football game, Citi Field has poor sight lines for hockey, and even Met Life Stadium / The New Meadowlands is a bit of a cookie cutter boring design (and its actually in New Jersey), but I feel they could have done something insanely creative.

A game somewhere in Central Park with 20-30K temporary seating would have been incredible. They could charge whatever they wanted and people would pay to see it. I like seeing the game in prime time, but having it on Monday, January 2nd night this year is a bit of a bummer. I love the whole New Years Day tradition they were building it to be. Now it will feel like a regular weekday hockey game. I guess they didn't want to go head to head with the Sunday NFL games, but having it on a Monday (even one where a lot of people will be off work) is kind of lame.

Around the league, I love how Brendan Shanahan is handling the discipline so far. He is one of the all-time greats and is very well respected around the league. He has laid the hammer down so far suspending Shelley for a boarding hit for 10 total games. I like how he is very thorough in explaining what the player did wrong and why he suspended him so many games. I hope he is tough and consistent with how he handles suspensions, something that has been severely lacking in the league (and in all major sports). Colin Campbell was a major ass and I hated how he handled his duties, including all of the shit with his sons.

10 games for a preseason penalty is harsh, but fair. I can't wait to see what he gives Matt Cooke the next time he pulls off some crap. Hopefully this will lead to less cheap shots and less injured players once teams get the message.

Around the league, I have no idea what the Flyers are doing. They signed Bryzgolov and Jagr, but trading Captain Windshield was indefensible to me. He is a top skill player and the leader of the team. I also loved seeing Dubinsky kicked his ass a few times a year. Makes no sense to me. Great to see the Jets back in the league and hopefully they give their fans something to cheer about. I'd love to see Phoenix or Florida move to Canada within a few years.

So what do you guys think about the upcoming season?
Posted Image

Remember kids: Friends don't let friends buy Bose.

#2 Ondore

Ondore

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • Wii U / NNID:DonaldMick

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:09 AM

Hoping a full season of starting Reimer (who was so good that we had to burst into spontaneous parodies) means we won't suck in the 1st half of the season and possibly get to the PLAYOFFS~ for the first time since we killed Sami Kapanen. Also, we traded the worst player in hockey, the only guy to go -3 in a 9-3 win, for an actual decent player, so we've got that going for us.

Gonna be weird seeing the Jets back, though I'm really curious as to what's going to happen with realignment. Also, I wish they'd **** or get off the pot on Phoenix, and look forward to pissing off my fantasy hockey commissioner by grabbing Crosby (hopefully in about the 4th round).

#3 KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • PSN: Knightattack
  • STEAM ID: KnightFall88

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:51 PM

Great to see the Jets back in the league and hopefully they give their fans something to cheer about. I'd love to see Phoenix or Florida move to Canada within a few years.

Gonna be weird seeing the Jets back, though I'm really curious as to what's going to happen with realignment. Also, I wish they'd **** or get off the pot on Phoenix.

You think you guys are excited? It's freakin' crazy here.

The cities just buzzing with excitement. Man, they figure 490,000 people watched the preseason game on TV (it's a draw area of something possibly close to 2.4 million or something, so ridiculously good). The weirdest thing that I hope they get fixed before the next presseason game is getting the advertisement in.....Pure white boards just looks weird I realized.

Anyways, everyone's excited for the Jets. There's a lot of good will here right now, and to be perfectly honest, I think there's wide belief in the city that the team could make the Playoffs this year. Personally, I'm not 100% sure on that, but it'll depend how everything works out I guess. If the goalies play well this year, you never know. It's a young team with a decent cluster. If the goalies start sucking however, don't be surprised in Winnipeg goes hard after Schneider either before the trade deadline on July 1st. That could happen.

Note: Being realistic here -- There is no where else in Canada right now for an NHL team. Quebec may think it's ready for another one, but they don't have an arena yet. The Colisee is still there, but it's been a hunk of junk since the 1980's, not to mention it seats 8500(?) or something incredibly small. It's part of the reason the Nordiques left last time. I don't see it going to Hamilton anytime soon, since both Buffalo and Toronto will freak out, and anyone whose ever been to that Arena knows it's not suitable at all either. It's a bad setup, it's aging incredibly fast, and just isn't a good rink.

Note 2: What are you guys thinking about the Retro jersey's leaks? Toronto's is okay, but I really like Ottawa's new 3rd Jersey.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,861 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:13 PM

The retro Rangers jersey is the best 3rd jersey in the league.
Posted Image

#5 PlayerOneStewy

PlayerOneStewy

Player One God

• Administrators
  • 7,301 posts
  • Xbox Live: CanadianStewy
  • PSN: stewy

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:29 PM

Totally agree with what you said re: Shanahan. The league needs to take a stand on those sort of hits. It's officially gotten out of hand.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:11 PM

Totally agree with what you said re: Shanahan. The league needs to take a stand on those sort of hits. It's officially gotten out of hand.

I agree as well, but there's something seriously wrong with how players are playing hockey these days compared to 15 and 20 years ago. As anyone here who played hockey during the 90's when concussion talk was just starting, many will attest to being taught one simple thing: when you go to play the puck on the boards, never, EVER go in with your back to play. Stop, turn around, quickly swoop, etc, but it was a serious no-no from my coaches to play a puck this way. You keep your head up, always. It's why those little "STOP" signs were put on the back of jerseys during the late 90's-early 00s.

I don't know why it's happened, but the game's changed, and now all these new guys to the NHL (and even some vets) are playing the puck with their back to the boards. It is one of the most scary things I think a player can do, because that's what's been drilled into my head. Hits from behind and some so-called blindside hits wouldn't be happening if players were playing this way. There's no reason why they shouldn't be either, especially during a time when everyone is freaking out over head injuries.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,861 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:56 AM

Its the same in football. Watch old film from the 70s, 80s, and even 90s. No one ducked their head down with the football. Yyou will also notice QBs not leading receivers over the middle with a floating pass.

You will also notice that defensive players never launched themselves headfirst on a tackle. They always led with a shoulder to the chest. I played a few months of football when I was 11 years old and the only thing I remember my coach telling me on defense was "you see it, you hit it."

Eric Lindros was the first guy I remember never skating with his head up. No one ever hit him in juniors as he was too big and he developed a bad habit of never looking up. When he got to the NHL, he got clobbered all the time and retired early. That said, I'd rather see skill players like him on the ice rather than on the bench concussed. While its important to teach a player how to avoid getting headshotted and boarded, I think its more important in the long run to keep them healthy.
Posted Image

#8 KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:31 AM

Its the same in football. Watch old film from the 70s, 80s, and even 90s. No one ducked their head down with the football. Yyou will also notice QBs not leading receivers over the middle with a floating pass.

You will also notice that defensive players never launched themselves headfirst on a tackle. They always led with a shoulder to the chest. I played a few months of football when I was 11 years old and the only thing I remember my coach telling me on defense was "you see it, you hit it."

Eric Lindros was the first guy I remember never skating with his head up. No one ever hit him in juniors as he was too big and he developed a bad habit of never looking up. When he got to the NHL, he got clobbered all the time and retired early. That said, I'd rather see skill players like him on the ice rather than on the bench concussed. While its important to teach a player how to avoid getting headshotted and boarded, I think its more important in the long run to keep them healthy.

Oh for sure, but that doesn't mean that the responsibility should be solely on the guys hitting them however. Could you imagine how many times Scott Stevens would be suspended in this day and age and worse, what he'd be called? He's one of the best defenceman ever in the league, yet if he played today, he'd be suspended for more games than he would have been playing.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,861 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

As a Rangers fan, I always found him to be a dirty cheap shot artist.

Edited by levitynyc, 25 September 2011 - 03:13 PM.

Posted Image

#10 KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

As a Ramgers fan, I always found him to be a dirty cheap shot artist.

"Ramgers"? Great team name.

Stevens had some jump-up and hit the guy hits, but very rarely were his shots as dirty as many people made them out to be.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 Ondore

Ondore

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:49 PM

Speaking of headshots, I'm planning on grabbing Crosby as the #1 pick in my pool tonight, if only to stick it to the commissioner (big Penguins fan). When do you think I'll be able to use him?

#12 KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:58 PM

Speaking of headshots, I'm planning on grabbing Crosby as the #1 pick in my pool tonight, if only to stick it to the commissioner (big Penguins fan). When do you think I'll be able to use him?

I'm thinking he's aiming for November 1st if everything continues to go well.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 nasero

nasero

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Xbox Live: nasero
  • Wii U / NNID:nasero
  • PSN: nasero

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:19 PM

So excited its almost opening day, can't wait to see my B's raise the championship banner. Watching everyone get their fantasy hockey leagues started is when I always get the feeling hockey is here.

#14 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,861 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:58 PM

Stay classy Wayne Simmons.

http://www.towleroad...9/simmonds.html
Posted Image

#15 PlayerOneStewy

PlayerOneStewy

Player One God

• Administrators
  • 7,301 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:12 PM

Sean Avery is still in the league?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,861 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:28 PM

Yup. What makes the incident more of a big deal is that Sean Avery was a very big proponent for gay marriage in NY state. He was one of the few athletes to come out publicly in support of the bill that passed. He has done a lot for the gay community recently.
Posted Image

#17 PlayerOneStewy

PlayerOneStewy

Player One God

• Administrators
  • 7,301 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:05 AM

Guys like him drive me nuts. He acts like such a prick most of the time that it overshadows the good things he does. There are a few drivers in the Sprint Cup series that have the same problem - some of the most giving, generous guys in the real world, but act like complete jerks whenever there's a camera on them.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,861 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:58 AM

I'm more surprised that Sather said something at all.

http://www.nypost.co...KgmBJYHIrBP947N
Posted Image

#19 KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:59 AM

I'm more surprised that Sather said something at all.

http://www.nypost.co...KgmBJYHIrBP947N

Right, because Brad Richards is going to make all the difference in the world.......

/missing playofffs.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,861 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:13 AM

It's funny because Slats is invisIble here in NY. He doesn't make appearances, do interviews, or have press conferences.

He never fears for his job no matter how poor of a job he's done. Jim Dolan only cares that the garden is full.
Posted Image

#21 PlayerOneStewy

PlayerOneStewy

Player One God

• Administrators
  • 7,301 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:28 AM

Sounds like the Maple Leafs. Who cares how they're doing as long as people are showing up?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:52 AM

Sounds like the Maple Leafs. Who cares how they're doing as long as people are showing up?

At some point, the fanbase does care. At some point, the owners care when they realize they could make more money the deeper they go into the playoffs.

For the rest of us, we just sit back and laugh.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,861 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:59 AM

At least Brian Burke it out there.
Posted Image

#24 Ondore

Ondore

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:26 PM

A lot of people who can't afford to go to games (or in my case, are half a country away).

#25 KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

Local Pop Radio Station came out with the First "Jets Anthem" -- Even if you don't listen to the song, the lyrics are great.

http://www.hot103liv...rockanthem.aspx
Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:45 AM

Levity, why is Ryan Callahan sucking so much this year? He's really hurting my fantasy team.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#27 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,861 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:18 AM

Its strange. Not only is he not scoring, he's not hitting guys. No one really is sure. I hope he isn't hurt. Keep in mind the Rangers haven't had a home game yet. They were in Europe for a month, traveled to Long Island and then Western Canada. Perhaps is just fatigue.

The Rangers have also spent a lot of time killing penalties.

I think Dubinksy is an overall better player, is bigger, and has more skill.

Edited by levitynyc, 22 October 2011 - 10:18 AM.

Posted Image

#28 Ondore

Ondore

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:44 PM

Players with less points than Phil "The Thrill" Kessel:
- The NHL

#29 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,861 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

Levity, why is Ryan Callahan sucking so much this year? He's really hurting my fantasy team.

There's your goal
Posted Image

#30 KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

There's your goal

He just needs 16 more to make up for what he should have...plus, what he should have by the time he gets up to that amount.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#31 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,861 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

NY Rangers Home Opener tonight....I'll be there.
Posted Image

#32 nasero

nasero

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:56 PM

Kind of sucks that I'm going to miss the start of the Bruins - Montreal game tonight but I'll be going to meet Mark Recchi which is pretty cool.

#33 Ondore

Ondore

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:42 PM

To: Brian Gionta.

Eat a dick.

Yrs,
Donald

#34 KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

Dear Winnipeg:

What the hell. You were up 6-1, and barely won 9-8.

I really hope Corey Schneider will be here next year.

Edited by KnightAttack, 27 October 2011 - 08:24 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#35 Maximus

Maximus

Super Mario

• Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Xbox Live: UltraMaximus22
  • Wii U / NNID:UltraMaximus22
  • PSN: Maximus22
  • STEAM ID: UltraMaximus22

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:17 PM

NY Rangers Home Opener tonight....I'll be there.

Callahan needs to stay out of the blue paint.
Posted Image

#36 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,861 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:40 PM

Dubinsky needs to stay out of the penalty box.
Posted Image

#37 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,861 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:41 PM

Callahan with 2 goals so far tonight.
Posted Image

#38 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,861 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:48 PM

Carey Price sucks.... that is all.
Posted Image

#39 Ondore

Ondore

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:59 PM

Posted Image

#40 nasero

nasero

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:39 PM

Its nice to see a young player get their first hat trick. Tonight was Tyler Seguin's night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users