Hermie Hopperhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Xbox Live: dvdhaus
  • PSN: Haus513
  • STEAM ID: dvdhaus

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:42 PM

As someone who barely played Oblivion, I am deeply hooked into Skyrim. I'm not sure what it was in Oblivion that turned me off, most likely the character upgrading screen, or the fact that all the enemies leveled when you did turned me off. The streamlined perks system of leveling in Skyrim is nice. As far as the installing on 360, it only takes up 3.8 GB and Bethesda says the game takes advantage of streaming data off the disc and thinks that is the cause of the blurry textures. This game has stopped me from finishing Uncharted 3 and I am only level 12 in Skyrim.

Now if you'll excuse me, time for more Skyrim.

#42 Outlaw Moogle

Outlaw Moogle

Rude.

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Xbox Live: Outlulz Mugle

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

UGLY people? fixed

Posted Image

#43 MojoBox

MojoBox

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • Xbox Live: TheMojoBox
  • PSN: MojoBox

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:30 AM

God help me, I've put 30 hours into this since I picked it up Thursday night. I'm loving it oh so much.

#44 Satoshi_Matrix

Satoshi_Matrix

Sewer Shark

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:38 AM

Well yes Outlaw Moogle, you can still make ugly characters if you go out of your way to, but its not like Oblivion where it was impossible to any character that wasn't some sort of mutant.

My point was that the people you meet throughout the game aren't all ugly like they were in Oblivion.

I'm not sure what I want to specialize in. The duel casting magic is so awesome, but I also want to go for archery. DLC needs to add in a Centaur so I can play as someone with four arms.

#45 Kirbutashi

Kirbutashi

Don't fuck with this senator!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Xbox Live: Kirbutashi
  • Wii U / NNID:Kirbutashi
  • Wii: 4591-0447-7245-4168
  • PSN: Kirbutashi

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:16 AM

Argonians are ugly motherfuckers.

#46 Owozifa

Owozifa

New Age Retro Hippie

• Super Old Timer
  • 5,534 posts
  • Xbox Live: Owozifa
  • Wii U / NNID:Owozifa
  • PSN: Owozifa
  • STEAM ID: Owozifa

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:03 PM

Argonians are ugly motherfuckers.

I'm sure they say the same about you.
Persons attempting to find a Motive in the above post will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a Moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a Point in it will be shot.

Posted Image

#47 Kirbutashi

Kirbutashi

• Administrators
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:46 PM

I'm sure they say the same about you.

You would think that...
Posted Image

#48 dammitmattt

dammitmattt

I Love Nerd Points

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Xbox Live: dammitmattt
  • PSN: dammitmattt

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:53 PM

God help me, I've put 30 hours into this since I picked it up Thursday night. I'm loving it oh so much.

Me, too. Me, too.

I played it until 6 am on launch day, on and off Friday and Saturday, and then just about all day Sunday in between some football. I started around 9 am and turned it off at 4 am last night after visiting the Greybeards. Yes, I'm 35 hours in and I'm just now going down the main story path that I could have followed within the first few hours. And STILL, I haven't visited 6 of the major cities and have only just started the Companions side quests. I have my issues with the game, but I'm hopelessly in love and hopelessly addicted. After 35 hours, I still feel like I've just barely scratched the surface and I haven't even touched the Mage's Guild, Dark Brotherhood, or Thief's Guild. I'm playing as a Battlemage who mixes fire with sword and shield combat, can pick the hell out of a lock, and can smith the hell out of an item. I fall back on Two-Handed weapons, Restoration, and I like to get a Sneak Attack in when I can with my Bow. I'm a Jack of All Trades and I'm loving it. The next skills I'm going to focus on upgrading are sneaking and pickpocketing. Theft is handled so much better here than in Oblivion that Skyrim is just begging you to steal everything in sight.

Just a word of warning to those on the fence - this isn't as different from Oblivion as you might think. It's MUCH better in almost every conceivable way and it's frequently one of the most beautiful games ever made, but at its core, it's still very similar to Oblivion. However, when almost every single aspect is so much better, it ends up making the final product much better than you'd think by looking at individual elements. One other bonus - it's been shockingly bug-free. I had ONE hard console freeze after 12 straight hours of play and that's really been it. I also had two moments where the frame rate seriously hitched (about 2 fps for about 10 seconds each time). Aside from that, nothing else other than the typical innocuous open world jank.

I know I have a problem when I'm getting married in 4 days and I'm thinking about this game almost as much as my wedding. It's that engrossing. I took a much-needed break tonight and look forward to hitting it again hard tomorrow night. Next up, the Mage's Guild!

P.S. A Night to Remember was a nice little homage to The Hangover. I hope there is more where that came from. Aside from the first proper Dragon fight, the awesome treck up the mountain to visit the Greybeards, and the crazy dog side mission, the rest of the missions (mostly Misc missions, to be fair) have been fairly typical.

P.P.S. Seriously, I love this game.
Posted Image

#49 DistantStorm

DistantStorm

Fights in the Shade

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • Xbox Live: DistantStorm
  • PSN: DistantStorm-X

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

I know what you mean. Aside from killing the first dragon the story throws at you, I haven't progressed the main plot at all. There's been a lot of running down of misc. quests, and even more aimless wandering far afield. I've felled another dragon I chanced upon randomly, took down a witches coven deep in the snowy forest, and am currently stealth archering my way through an icy vampire's lair. All while trying to save up for that house in Whiterun so i can finally have someplce to unload those heavyass dragon bones.This game is going to be a problem well into the foreseeable future.
Posted Image

-What if all the world's inside of your head- -Just creations of your own-
-Your Devils and your Gods- -All the living and the dead-
-And you're really all alone-

#50 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,861 posts
  • Xbox Live: levitynyc
  • Wii U / NNID:levitynyc
  • PSN: levitynyc
  • STEAM ID: levitynyc

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:25 PM

I caved and rented this on PS3 from Redbox. If I enjoy it after 2 days, I'll buy it.
Posted Image

Remember kids: Friends don't let friends buy Bose.

#51 Satoshi_Matrix

Satoshi_Matrix

Sewer Shark

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:47 AM

rented? a game that's got 250 hours of gameplay if not more?

I remember renting games back in the 8 and 16 bit days when you MIGHT have a chance of completing an RPG within a rental period.

All I can say is good luck!

#52 SaitoH

SaitoH

Under Duress

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:30 AM

rented? a game that's got 250 hours of gameplay if not more?

I remember renting games back in the 8 and 16 bit days when you MIGHT have a chance of completing an RPG within a rental period.

All I can say is good luck!

Didn't you read what he wrote?
Posted Image

#53 PlayerOneStewy

PlayerOneStewy

Player One God

• Administrators
  • 7,301 posts
  • Xbox Live: CanadianStewy
  • PSN: stewy

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:25 AM

satoshi just reads the first few words of every post. Once he's got the gist, he needs no more information. :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#54 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,861 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:31 AM

Started it up late last night. It hard froze my ps3 during the opening scene when I went invert the yaxis.
Posted Image

#55 mik

mik

Q*Bert

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,178 posts
  • Xbox Live: mik
  • PSN: mik

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:45 AM

Freaks get punished. I like it.
Posted Image

#56 Kirbutashi

Kirbutashi

• Administrators
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:08 AM

Now that I finished the Mage College questline, I've been focusing on the main quest line. Every so often I'll wander into a nearby cave or kill a bandit, but my journal has been filling up with crap I may never get to. Although I have amassed my own personal pile of "un-dropable" junk from NPCs hoping I'll play courier for them that I should probably take care of.

I still can't quite figure what's gotten me so attached to Skyrim. I still am not a fan of fantasy and I find Bethesda's creativity in character design to be at the bottom of the barrel. I guess having a new computer and a enjoyable magic system has been enough. That and consoling in Magicka potions because I can.

But this game will probably easily last me well through this year coupled with the ton of other releases that are coming out.

#57 Satoshi_Matrix

Satoshi_Matrix

Sewer Shark

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

Didn't you read what he wrote?

Indeed I did, but I can't imagine anyone with the interest to try Skyrim to not completely fall in love with it. Sure, there are those people who hate open world games with ten trillion things to do, but they aren't the kind of people that would even try Skyrim to begin with. For that reason, renting it first seems somewhat silly to me.

satoshi just reads the first few words of every post. Once he's got the gist, he needs no more information. :)

To some degree, this is true. Posted Image Don't feel bad. This is just my personality. No offense intended.

Started it up late last night. It hard froze my ps3 during the opening scene when I went invert the yaxis.

Froze forcing a reset or stuttered as it loaded the changes then resumed as normal? I've put in 18 hours into the PS3 build of Skyrim and have noticed only the most minor of glitches like flickering shadows and occasionally low textures on items in the menu. I'd say give it another shot. Probably that's just a fluke glitch. The PS3 build of Skyrim isn't nearly as glitchy as Oblivion, Fallout 3, or especially New Vegas.

Freaks get punished. I like it.

The nords don't take shit from anyone.

#58 Owozifa

Owozifa

New Age Retro Hippie

• Super Old Timer
  • 5,534 posts
  • Xbox Live: Owozifa
  • Wii U / NNID:Owozifa
  • PSN: Owozifa
  • STEAM ID: Owozifa

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

One of the main reasons I'm excited for Skyrim is simply the setting. For whatever reason I love that Norse style. Always loved Sigurd and Beowulf.
Persons attempting to find a Motive in the above post will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a Moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a Point in it will be shot.

Posted Image

#59 dammitmattt

dammitmattt

I Love Nerd Points

• Super Old Timer
  • 3,369 posts
  • Xbox Live: dammitmattt
  • PSN: dammitmattt

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

Judging by NeoGAF, the 360 version seems to be slightly better and more stable. People have reported numerous issues with both versions, but these hard crashes early on in the game seem to happen predominantly on the PS3 version. If you do get it, just don't install it.
Posted Image

#60 momerath

momerath

A miserable little pile of secrets

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts
  • Wii U / NNID:momerathh
  • PSN: momerath
  • STEAM ID: msmrise

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:02 PM

The PS3 version is definitely much better than Oblivion was as far as bugginess goes. However, I can say that I've been playing for about 40 hours and the game has frozen on me three times thus far, so it's not unheard of.

Granted, if I were playing New Vegas or something it probably would have frozen like 15 times so I consider this a pretty big improvement. Posted Image

LOVING this game.

#61 SaitoH

SaitoH

Under Duress

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

Picked it up for a trade in 3 for free deal at Best Buy. I'm enjoying the game very much. Everything just works so much better than the previous Elder Scrolls games and I've had no crashes, or bugs so far. Colour me amazed.
Posted Image

#62 levitynyc

levitynyc

Everybody loves donuts.

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,861 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:25 PM

My buddy at work told me there was a point where if he tried to fast travel to a specific place, it would actually shut his 360 off.
Posted Image

#63 SickBoy

SickBoy

Sewer Shark

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Xbox Live: FisheyeLens
  • PSN: FisheyeLens

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:35 PM

I can totally see renting it first. I didn't care for Morrowind, so I skipped Oblivion.

Took a chance on Fallout 3 and loved it... so i figured I should give Oblivion a go. Long story short, I'll be waiting on Skyrim. Positive feedback on it has me intrigued again, but I'll hold off until it's cheaper.
Posted Image

#64 GSRJedi

GSRJedi

Snatcher

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Xbox Live: GSRJedi
  • Wii: 5637760279818057
  • PSN: GSRJedi

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:04 PM

I had no interest before this came out, but after watching a friend play I'm slightly interested. Probably wait until next year or so for a Steam sale on the GOTY edition
flickr page
Performance enhancing drugs were used in the creation of this post

Posted Image

Wii friend code - 563776027918057

my tumblr blog

#65 gamer812

gamer812

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Xbox Live: gamer812
  • Wii U / NNID:gamer812
  • PSN: gamer812
  • STEAM ID: gamer812

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:37 PM

My buddy at work told me there was a point where if he tried to fast travel to a specific place, it would actually shut his 360 off.

Ha, didn't know a "crash to desktop" alternative existed for consoles. Skyrim (PC) would crash to desktop without warning when I entered this Bonechill cave. The fix was to run the game in windowed mode. No idea why that fixes the problem.

I have to take a breather on this one as anytime I play, hours just fly by. I need to attend to Saints Row 3 and AC: Revelations. But that's what I love about these games. I can stop at a certain point and pick up where I left off with the knowledge of what needs to be done.
Posted Image

#66 famousmortimer

famousmortimer

Baldness

• Super Old Timer
  • 3,409 posts
  • Wii U / NNID:famousmortimer
  • PSN: famousmortimer
  • STEAM ID: famousmortimer

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

After multiple dicking around sessions (mostly to jizz over my new computer) i sat down to play it last night at 2:30am. Next thing I knew it was 7am and sunny. I can't wait to do the same tonight.
Posted Image

#67 momerath

momerath

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:22 PM

This might legitimately be my GOTY thus far. The only other contender on this level for me is Xenoblade.

#68 Architecture

Architecture

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
  • Xbox Live: atomicDAEDELUS
  • PSN: Ar-chi-tec-ture
  • STEAM ID: wristrocket

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:51 PM

Posted Image

#69 Architecture

Architecture

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:53 PM

Exact same thing happened to me.

#70 TheKurichan

TheKurichan

Screw this guy.

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Wii U / NNID:TheKurichan
  • PSN: kurichan78
  • STEAM ID: TheKurichan

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:28 AM

Thinking about picking this up tonight. I am only in the middle of 5 games, so clearly I need another game to not finish.
P1P Hot Shots Golf Season 1 Champ!
P1P Hot Shots Golf Season 2 Champ!

#71 TheKurichan

TheKurichan

Screw this guy.

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:42 PM

Oh, I was supposed to go around that mountain, not climb up it get stuck and fall off to my death.

#72 momerath

momerath

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:14 PM

Yeah... when there's a mountain in my way, most of the time I have this weird urge to climb it by mashing the jump button rather than just walking around it. Terrible way to go about it, I know, but damned if I'm gonna let that mountain tell me how to get places.

#73 famousmortimer

famousmortimer

Baldness

• Super Old Timer
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:23 PM

Skyrim is the truth.
Posted Image

#74 TheKurichan

TheKurichan

Screw this guy.

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

Also, why the fuck did I buy a horse? It's slower than me and utterly fucking useless.

#75 gamer812

gamer812

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:35 PM

Also, why the fuck did I buy a horse? It's slower than me and utterly fucking useless.

Because it's a freaking beast going over mountains that you can't normally climb. Also, it takes out enemies for you as well.
Posted Image

#76 TheKurichan

TheKurichan

Screw this guy.

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:38 PM

Because it's a freaking beast going over mountains that you can't normally climb. Also, it takes out enemies for you as well.

Thanks, I will name it Pony and feed it apples.

Also I will try these things you say.

#77 Architecture

Architecture

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:53 PM

Encountered a game-breaking bug (a quest required for the magic college won't launch properly), so I'm restarting after 16+ hours on a character.

Only you, Bethesda. Only you.

#78 TheKurichan

TheKurichan

Screw this guy.

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:08 PM

Encountered a game-breaking bug (a quest required for the magic college won't launch properly), so I'm restarting after 16+ hours on a character.

Is it possible to go to an older save, and take a different path in the hope that the quest will pop?

I have had a quest not close off after I finished it.

#79 gamer812

gamer812

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:51 PM

Crap, that is rough.

I have had a quest not close off after I finished it.

I had the something similar happen to me with a miscellaneous quest. It's a good thing I save a lot or else I would have a marker on the map screen/hud for the duration of the entire game. It was related to Farkas of the Companions. The game would tell me to speak with him even though the quest log grayed out the option to complete it. Another misc quest with the Farkas netted me a "beat them up" mission where the guy I was supposed to rough up was in a boat. The problem is that every time I entered the boat, it would count as trespassing and I was unable to tell him about the ruckus he is causing. He would always reply with, "You are not supposed to be here." I ended up just killing him to remove it from the quest log.

Edited by gamer812, 18 November 2011 - 11:51 PM.

Posted Image

#80 famousmortimer

famousmortimer

Baldness

• Super Old Timer
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:02 AM

Do you only have one save?

I'm nuts about saving. I need to have 5, minimum... and as long games go on that number grows. I had 15 saves for FFXIII by the 100 hour mark.

Actually in god of war 3 I tried to create a new save at every checkpoint in the game but it only allowed me to make 25.

Anyway, 5 save round robin, minimum. Especially with Bethesda games.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users