Photo

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (PSN, PC, Xbox)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 PlayerOnePhil

PlayerOnePhil

Radical Ninja

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts
  • Xbox Live: Whimsical Phil
  • Wii U / NNID:WhimsicalPhil
  • Wii: 8239-9147-6944-3609
  • PSN: WhimsicalPhil
  • STEAM ID: Radical Ninja

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:54 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Listen up, pardners, it’s our 25th Game Club, and to celebrate, we’re tackling the most recent (although still seven years old) entry in Lorne Lanning’s Oddworld series, Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath. It’s an (*ahem*) odd hybrid of first- and third-person shooters set in a whimsically bizarre version of the old west. You play as the Stranger, a bounty hunter looking to score loads of moolah by bringing in the orneriest outlaws in the land. Of course, there’s much more to the story, but to spoil it (and its twist) would be a disservice.

Posted Image Posted Image

The game’s biggest gimmick is the literal “live ammo”–living critters that you must first hunt before loading them into your crossbow to use against the enemy. You also have the choice of bringing your quarry in dead or alive. You’ll earn a higher bounty if they’re still kickin’, but it’s usually more difficult to do this than finishing ‘em off first.

Posted Image Posted Image

Originally released on the Xbox (and sadly not backwards compatible on the Xbox 360), we were lucky enough to get an updated version of the game recently. Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD is currently available on the PlayStation Network for $14.99. The regular ol’ version of the game is also available on Steam for $9.99 (with a free HD update coming in a few months).

We’ll be discussing Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath in episode 275 of the Player One Podcast. So get playing and share your comments and/or memories. You can post them in this thread, in the comments section of the blog post on the front page, on Twitter (@p1podcast), drop us an email, or leave a voicemail (713-893-8069).

Posted Image

#2 Kirbutashi

Kirbutashi

Don't fuck with this senator!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts
  • Xbox Live: Kirbutashi
  • Wii U / NNID:Kirbutashi
  • Wii: 4591-0447-7245-4168
  • PSN: Kirbutashi

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

Jo'Momma's goin' down. heh heh heh

#3 probune

probune

Elitist

• Super Old Timer
  • 8,035 posts
  • Xbox Live: probune
  • Wii: 8338 9162 1499 9590
  • PSN: probune
  • STEAM ID: probune

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

The regular olí version of the game is also available on Steam for $9.99 (with a free HD update coming in a few months).

WHAT? Really?! That's awesome

#4 Kirbutashi

Kirbutashi

Don't fuck with this senator!

• Administrators
  • 7,784 posts
  • Xbox Live: Kirbutashi
  • Wii U / NNID:Kirbutashi
  • Wii: 4591-0447-7245-4168
  • PSN: Kirbutashi

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

Wasn't that version glitched to hell?

#5 demonicmurry

demonicmurry

Hermie Hopperhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Xbox Live: demonicmurry
  • PSN: demonicmurry

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:50 PM

Anyone else get the impression that the voice acting for The Stranger is a little....dumb? I think it's the combination of his simple vernacular and slow droll that makes me feel that he's a little slow in the head. Anyways, I'm still enjoying my time with the game.

#6 PlayerOnePhil

PlayerOnePhil

Radical Ninja

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

WHAT? Really?! That's awesome

Supposedly. Don't get mad at me if it doesn't come to pass, though.

Anyone else get the impression that the voice acting for The Stranger is a little....dumb? I think it's the combination of his simple vernacular and slow droll that makes me feel that he's a little slow in the head. Anyways, I'm still enjoying my time with the game.

Trivia: Stranger's voice (and that of several other characters in the game) is provided by Lorne Lanning himself.

#7 PlayerOneStewy

PlayerOneStewy

Player One God

• Administrators
  • 7,151 posts
  • Xbox Live: CanadianStewy
  • PSN: stewy

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

Trivia: Stranger's voice (and that of several other characters in the game) is provided by Lorne Lanning himself.

Pretty much true of all Oddworld games. With the Stranger I think they either pitched it down a bit or just broke up his dialogue more than was natural, though.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 demonicmurry

demonicmurry

Hermie Hopperhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

Really cool factoid! I love it when a designer puts himself out there like that for his own work.

#9 atat23

atat23

Wastelander

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • PSN: atat23
  • STEAM ID: atat23

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:32 PM

Wasn't that version glitched to hell?

When the oddworld pack was released I think it was fairly cheap, I picked it up on steam then, only played it now and yeah it's fairly glitchy.

During the second boss fight I broke a fence and randomly teleported behind the door blocking my progress. I then had to backtrack a bit but it meant I could then take the boss down with boom bats which I shouldn't have had during that fight.

The items are too big for the item store to display them correctly, the frame rate is all over the place and when you hand in a bounty the numbers are all weird. It's also been crashing a lot, it's not even worth trying windowed mode as then it crashes every five minutes. That's about what I've seen and I've only just reached the second town.

Still it seems like a cool game, it's a bit annoying constantly having to change between the two perspectives and selecting ammo is a bit of a pain. Still the style reminds me of Psychonauts or Conkers bad fur day and I can't help smiling everytime the chipmunks tell me I smell or I have something up my nose.

#10 PlayerOnePhil

PlayerOnePhil

Radical Ninja

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:48 PM

Quick update, folks.

We're gonna be discussing this game in episode 275 (two weeks from now).

So get playin'!

#11 SickBoy

SickBoy

Sewer Shark

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts
  • Xbox Live: FisheyeLens
  • PSN: FisheyeLens

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:21 AM

BTW, it's also $10.49 now if you're a PS+ member. Not sure I'll grab it.

Loved the game back when I first played it, and it seemed to look better than an Xbox game had any business looking. Criminally underappreciated in terms of sales... the unusual setting (weird creatures in a western-style environment) was a fantastic hook.

Spoiler

This was a pretty special game to me. Not sure if I'll be dipping in anytime soon, simply because it's likely to just heap onto my backlog.
Posted Image

#12 Hargrada

Hargrada

Bomberman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • PSN: Hargrada

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

Playing this on my PS3, as I missed the original release, and that's a shame because so far it's been fantastic!

I like the way everything is broken up by bounty (only in the 2nd town currently). Starting and ending every mission at the bounty store lets me break up my gaming time into nice, small(ish) chunks when I play. I'm also really enjoying the light stealth elements. They don't always let you clear a map without being seen, but when they do, it's a lot of fun (can't get enough of that chipunk).

The whole thing isn't as tight as a pure, focused shooter/platformer/stealh game would be, but the mix really adds up to something more than the sum of its parts.This one here justifies (in my mind) the recent HD remake trend we've been seeing.

#13 finfan

finfan

Hermie Hopperhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Xbox Live: FinFan
  • PSN: FinFan-
  • STEAM ID: FinFan18

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

I picked up the oddworld pack as well and will will be playing through steam. Any word on the HD update?

FinFan -

#14 atat23

atat23

Wastelander

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:11 AM

At the end of December they were saying 2-3 months for the HD PC patch

source

#15 probune

probune

Elitist

• Super Old Timer
  • 8,035 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

I noticed they updated it on Steam, added widescreen, better controller support, fixed bugs, etc. Doesn't look like it's much of an HD update, though, if that was what it was supposed to be.

#16 finfan

finfan

Hermie Hopperhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

I noticed they updated it on Steam, added widescreen, better controller support, fixed bugs, etc. Doesn't look like it's much of an HD update, though, if that was what it was supposed to be.

I'll load it up tonight and check it out, thanks.

FinFan -

#17 daviddoel

daviddoel

Bad Mister Frosty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Xbox Live: David2Crazy
  • PSN: David2Crazy
  • STEAM ID: daviddoel

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

Playing through on the PS3, just passed the mine cart section.

Does anyone else think that this game would be better if the ammo had a progression system like the weapons in Ratchet & Clank? I'd have a reason to actually switch between and use all the different types of ammo.

Not reading any posts yet as for fear of spoiling this big twist, so I'll follow up to your replies when I'm done :P

#18 finfan

finfan

Hermie Hopperhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

How far are you guys playing? Is there a schedule like play up to "X" level this week?

FinFan -

#19 PlayerOneStewy

PlayerOneStewy

Player One God

• Administrators
  • 7,151 posts
  • Xbox Live: CanadianStewy
  • PSN: stewy

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

I'm planning on getting as close to the end as possible. CJ's planning on getting past the options screen.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 atat23

atat23

Wastelander

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

fixed bugs? I wonder what it was like before :/

but yeah there is a HD update in the works, I might just wait to finish the game when that's released, only just done the first part of the second town but so far it has really grabbed me and if I force myself to play more I'll end up hating it.

#21 PlayerOnePhil

PlayerOnePhil

Radical Ninja

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

I'm planning on getting as close to the end as possible. CJ's planning on getting past the options screen.

Prepping for baby is leaving me pretty much no time to play, sadly. Still, I've gotten farther than CJ, and I did already play through the game back in the day.

#22 probune

probune

Elitist

• Super Old Timer
  • 8,035 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:13 PM

fixed bugs? I wonder what it was like before :/

Exactly what I thought when I loaded it up. It's pretty bad right now.

#23 finfan

finfan

Hermie Hopperhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

Exactly what I thought when I loaded it up. It's pretty bad right now.

It's unplayable for me on PC. I'm on my way to the Water plant and it keeps locking up. But, I can run Dead Space 2 and many other games without issue. I've already played it on the orginal Xbox and really enjoyed it. I was looking forward to playing it again. Fun fact (or maybe sad fact) Strangers Wrath and Beyond Good and Evil were the games I would always go back to and play when I had to send in my RROD launch 360 for repairs. I sent it in for repairs three times.

FinFan -

#24 Boblious

Boblious

Ico

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Xbox Live: PurpleFang
  • PSN: Boblious
  • STEAM ID: Boblious

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

I could go to faqs and the like, but since this is a game club and people are meant to be talking about the game, how do I bring in the bosses alive? I've killed them all so far, only cause that seems to be the easiest thing to do.

This is the first I've played the game and I'm enjoying it. I like the chest beating, and the crossbow ammo. I don't like the double jump.
Posted Image

#25 demonicmurry

demonicmurry

Hermie Hopperhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:50 AM

Just thought I'd make one comment before the discussion podcast. I really enjoy the pacing of the game in that it's kind of a slow burn. The game takes its time going and the story really doesn't ramp up until a few towns in. Take that as a positive or negative, depending on how you feel. I know a lot of games really like to "wow" the audience right at the start. But Stranger's Wrath, like a lot of older games, really takes its time to draw the player in. It's something that I appreciated, though I wouldn't want every game to follow this structure.

Anyways, really enjoyed the story. It's one of the rare endings where it is satisfying as well as leaves a nice cliffhanger for a sequel (which I assume we will never see, unfortunately). It's also a game that really is greater than the sum of its part. The platforming and shooting isn't that spectacular and it's kind of finicky. But as an overall package, the two mechanics work really well together. It also reminds me of a time where developers had a lot of fun thinking of creative ammo types.

Lastly, this game is dripping with personality. This, along with other games like Deus Ex or No One Live Forever really shows the creativity that went into shooters that I rarely see today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users