383 replies to this topic

#161 Satoshi_Matrix

Satoshi_Matrix

Sewer Shark

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

Hey guys, I asked KnightAttack in pm, but he doesn't own a 360 and can't really tell me a whole lot. So I'll ask the rest of ya!

Having never played a Mass Effect game and given how much the story evidently matters, I decided to take a look around for Mass Effect 1. I called my local ma and pa game store and managed to score Mass Effect 1 for 360, sans the manual for $10. I would have preferred to get one with the manual, but it was that or nothing, so I took it. Anyone happen to know where I might be able to buy the manual by itself? I checked ebay and didn't see anything.

Anyhow, I popped it in my 360 and played it until I landed on the first farming world planet which probably was about 20 minutes in.

A few questions regarding the first game if you don't mind.

1. I haven't connected my 360 to the internet in years. Literally, in years. The dashboard is the one it shipped with, using the multicolored 'blades''. Will be present any sort of problem? I hear the game is quite buggy. Should I go through the lengthy process of installing several years worth of updates in hopes that were are some important post-release patches? I remember Fallout New Vegas got a pretty huge post release patch on the PS3 that really helped make it far more stable. Anything like that for Mass Effect 1?

2. Does it matter what gender you pick or really how you respond to people? i picked a random female character and were presented with three overall choices in nearly every situation: empathic, neutral, and total bitch. Of course, I've only played the game for 20 minutes so far....but it seems like the choices aren't really as situational as I would have hoped. The last game I played that did something like that was Dreamfall the Longest Journey (for original Xbox) and I feel so far that Dreamfall does a much better job. What's your take on this?

3. About how long is Mass Effect 1 from start to finish not counting side stuff? is that an impossible question? Like for example if someone were to ask me how long Fallout 3 is, I'd tell them either 15-20 hours or 300 hours depending on how much they want to do. Is Mass Effect like that too or is it more structured?

thanks.

#162 KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts
  • PSN: Knightattack
  • STEAM ID: KnightFall88

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

So, I just finished the game.

Non-ending spoiler stuff:

Spoiler

Ending:

Spoiler

Edited by KnightAttack, 10 March 2012 - 06:53 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#163 KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

Hey guys, I asked KnightAttack in pm, but he doesn't own a 360 and can't really tell me a whole lot. So I'll ask the rest of ya!

Hey hey whoa. I didn't say I hadn't played the game, I just couldn't give you a great answer on the First question. The rest was right.

Edited by KnightAttack, 10 March 2012 - 06:55 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#164 Compeau

Compeau

Q*Bert

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts
  • Xbox Live: Compeau
  • Wii U / NNID:Compeau
  • PSN: Compeau

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

Having never played a Mass Effect game and given how much the story evidently matters, I decided to take a look around for Mass Effect 1. I called my local ma and pa game store and managed to score Mass Effect 1 for 360, sans the manual for $10. I would have preferred to get one with the manual, but it was that or nothing, so I took it. Anyone happen to know where I might be able to buy the manual by itself? I checked ebay and didn't see anything.

Anyhow, I popped it in my 360 and played it until I landed on the first farming world planet which probably was about 20 minutes in.

A few questions regarding the first game if you don't mind.

1. I haven't connected my 360 to the internet in years. Literally, in years. The dashboard is the one it shipped with, using the multicolored 'blades''. Will be present any sort of problem? I hear the game is quite buggy. Should I go through the lengthy process of installing several years worth of updates in hopes that were are some important post-release patches? I remember Fallout New Vegas got a pretty huge post release patch on the PS3 that really helped make it far more stable. Anything like that for Mass Effect 1?

2. Does it matter what gender you pick or really how you respond to people? i picked a random female character and were presented with three overall choices in nearly every situation: empathic, neutral, and total bitch. Of course, I've only played the game for 20 minutes so far....but it seems like the choices aren't really as situational as I would have hoped. The last game I played that did something like that was Dreamfall the Longest Journey (for original Xbox) and I feel so far that Dreamfall does a much better job. What's your take on this?

3. About how long is Mass Effect 1 from start to finish not counting side stuff? is that an impossible question? Like for example if someone were to ask me how long Fallout 3 is, I'd tell them either 15-20 hours or 300 hours depending on how much they want to do. Is Mass Effect like that too or is it more structured?

thanks.

Manual

1. I'm not sure.
2. You will want to choose whether you want to be good or evil, and mostly pick that kind of response. Otherwise I don't think you will be able to max out your morality/conversation meter.
3. It really depends on if you like to do all of the side quests, listen to all of the conversation branches, and explore everything. If so, probably 30-45 hours (my memory is a little fuzzy). However, it seem like I may be slower than average: Link.

#165 Compeau

Compeau

Q*Bert

• Super Old Timer
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

Disc swaps? Didn't know that they released a PS1 version.

I've been playing for 15 hours, and have had six disc swaps. It seems like all the story stuff is on disc 1, and all the sidequests are on disc 2. Horrible planning.

#166 KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

I've been playing for 15 hours, and have had six disc swaps. It seems like all the story stuff is on disc 1, and all the sidequests are on disc 2. Horrible planning.

What......wow....that's......that's terrible. Does 360 install do anything? Oddly, there's no install on ME3 on PS3. Personally, I think they should've to cut down on some of the load times (Particularly, the Citadel), but it's not bad otherwise.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#167 Compeau

Compeau

Q*Bert

• Super Old Timer
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

It seem everything is on the second disc now - I played 7 hours today without a disc swap. I don't understand why they didn't put the first few side quests on the first disc.

#168 MojoBox

MojoBox

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts
  • Xbox Live: TheMojoBox

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:35 AM

ME1 can be beaten in about 7-8 hours if you critical path it and turn down the difficulty. It's a pretty boring game played that way though.

#169 Satoshi_Matrix

Satoshi_Matrix

Sewer Shark

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:30 AM

So I'm going to play through Mass Effect 1. How much emphasis should I place on improving the gear of my squardmates? The last game I played like this was probably Diablo II. Can they die if I don't upgrade them sufficiently?

#170 Kirbutashi

Kirbutashi

Don't fuck with this senator!

• Administrators
  • 7,794 posts
  • Xbox Live: Kirbutashi
  • Wii U / NNID:Kirbutashi
  • Wii: 4591-0447-7245-4168
  • PSN: Kirbutashi

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:16 AM

You won't be upgrading your gear as much as a Diablo game. Maybe your attachments. But if you're a little lax, you'll be fine. Especially on Normal.

So, I finished ME3 yesterday.
Spoiler

Anyone else here playing on PC? That's where I've been focusing for my multiplayer action and would like some other Origin buddies to fight the galaxy with.

#171 MojoBox

MojoBox

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

You won't be upgrading your gear as much as a Diablo game. Maybe your attachments. But if you're a little lax, you'll be fine. Especially on Normal.

Spoiler

Anyone else here playing on PC? That's where I've been focusing for my multiplayer action and would like some other Origin buddies to fight the galaxy with.

I beat it yesterday as well.

Spoiler

I'm playing on 360 or I'd join ya for multiplayer, it's a lot of fun.

Edited by MojoBox, 12 March 2012 - 07:30 AM.

#172 KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

I beat it yesterday as well.

Spoiler

I'm playing on 360 or I'd join ya for multiplayer, it's a lot of fun.

Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted Image

#173 MojoBox

MojoBox

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Feel free to spoil anything I missed though, I had my one clean playthrough so all bets are off for me now :)

#174 KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

Spoiler

Feel free to spoil anything I missed though, I had my one clean playthrough so all bets are off for me now :)

Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted Image

#175 SickBoy

SickBoy

Sewer Shark

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts
  • Xbox Live: FisheyeLens
  • PSN: FisheyeLens

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

Time to ignore this thread till I'm done. I've had th game since day after release and I've managed 2:30 of gameplay, I think. Sad.
Posted Image

#176 RareMonkey

RareMonkey

Blood Wake

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Xbox Live: Rare Monkey
  • PSN: RareMonkey23
  • STEAM ID: raremonkey

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

Spoiler

I am playing on PC origin account of raremonkey23 (i forgot i had raremonkey and made a new one and bought the game; oops)

XBL: Rare Monkey
Wii: Haven't hooked it up to the internet
PSN: Raremonkey23
76561197992617740.png

#177 richrad

richrad

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Xbox Live: Richrad Live
  • PSN: tetrisattacked

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

I finished the game today with the clock at just 12 hours. I didn't really feel like I skipped that many side missions, either. What the heck is that about? I'm pretty sure ME2 took me about 30 hours.

#178 gamer812

gamer812

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Xbox Live: gamer812
  • Wii U / NNID:gamer812
  • PSN: gamer812
  • STEAM ID: gamer812

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

I just finished it which took me around 35 hours. Those last sections on Insanity were crazy. As for the ending, it's weird. I chose the...

Spoiler

All in all, I enjoyed it. The only con I have against the game is that the firefights last a bit too long for my tastes.
Posted Image

#179 KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

I just finished it which took me around 35 hours. Those last sections on Insanity were crazy. As for the ending, it's weird. I chose the...

Spoiler

All in all, I enjoyed it. The only con I have against the game is that the firefights last a bit too long for my tastes.

Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted Image

#180 gamer812

gamer812

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Interesting to see that my Galactic Readiness is the same if you switch platforms like 360 to PS3. It's already at 96% and I haven't even started to play yet on PS3.
Posted Image

#181 KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:18 AM

Spoiler

Interesting to see that my Galactic Readiness is the same if you switch platforms like 360 to PS3. It's already at 96% and I haven't even started to play yet on PS3.

I'm not surprised. EA's pretty good about sharing that info over all EA Accounts. I'm a little pissed that every time I reload my game though I go down to 99%.

Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted Image

#182 momerath

momerath

A miserable little pile of secrets

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts
  • Wii U / NNID:momerathh
  • PSN: momerath
  • STEAM ID: msmrise

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:11 AM

I finished the game today with the clock at just 12 hours. I didn't really feel like I skipped that many side missions, either. What the heck is that about? I'm pretty sure ME2 took me about 30 hours.

That does seem super low. I'm at around 23 hours right now and I feel like I still have so much content left! To be fair, I'm combing pretty thoroughly through every nook and cranny of this game.

#183 Jonnjonzz

Jonnjonzz

Bake'em away Toys.

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts
  • Xbox Live: MarcoXavier
  • PSN: Dorty86
  • STEAM ID: Jonnjonzz

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:40 AM

Spoiler

Posted Image

#184 Kirbutashi

Kirbutashi

• Administrators
  • 7,794 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

Yea, I was surprised to see that your Galatic percentages crossover all platforms, since I play multi on PC and single on 360. Too bad DLC doesn't work that way. :(

#185 richrad

richrad

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Xbox Live: Richrad Live
  • PSN: tetrisattacked

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

That does seem super low. I'm at around 23 hours right now and I feel like I still have so much content left! To be fair, I'm combing pretty thoroughly through every nook and cranny of this game.

Dove back in today and it turns out I missed *a lot* of stuff. I'm glad the game lets you play more once you're done, but I wish it had a new game+ option instead.

#186 Compeau

Compeau

Q*Bert

• Super Old Timer
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:58 PM

I'm at 28 hours and feel like I'm around 2/3 through. I expect my play through to be 40+ hours. I'm doing every sidequest I can find, and am thoroughly exploring all of the conversation trees.

#187 Compeau

Compeau

Q*Bert

• Super Old Timer
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

I love how Garrus progresses through the games. In ME1 he's a humorless straight-laced C-Sec officer. Before ME2 he goes against his old rule-abiding nature and becomes a vigilante. In ME2 he is much darker and seems to be going through emotional turmoil. By ME3 he's worked through it all, and now he's a wise-cracking old chum. His banter with Vega and Joker is fantastic (the scenes where he and Vega are trading war stories, and where he and Joker are trading jokes are some of the best bits in the game). He went from being a total dick in ME1 to being the best member of your squad in ME3.

Also, there's one point where depending on your dialog options, he's make a callback to ME2 and say "I'm Garrus Vakarian, and this is my favorite spot on The Citadel." When I first went to The Citadel I was so disappointed that no store used the Shepard recording from ME2, but this totally made up for it.

#188 Kirbutashi

Kirbutashi

• Administrators
  • 7,794 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

I largely agree with this article from gamefront about the problems with the ending:
http://www.gamefront...fans-are-right/

Nice that some places are able to think about it instead of just shrugging it all off as fans and entitlement.

#189 Jonnjonzz

Jonnjonzz

Bake'em away Toys.

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

Its funny how many "games journalists" want games to be art, but are totally okay with the ending of this disregarding any of the set rules wet it comes to ending of this type of story.

Also you know you fucked up royal when Red Letter Media has something to say about you.

Posted Image

#190 Kirbutashi

Kirbutashi

• Administrators
  • 7,794 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

Nice, I didn't catch that tweet.

#191 KnightAttack

KnightAttack

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

I largely agree with this article from gamefront about the problems with the ending:
http://www.gamefront...fans-are-right/

Nice that some places are able to think about it instead of just shrugging it all off as fans and entitlement.

It has a lot of points that I agree with as well.

The funny part to me is the entitlement of all the reviewers of the industry saying "Nope, never going to happen. It just doesn't."

Well, funny thing since it wasn't that long ago that a game with major hype had the ending completely changed in DLC because it in fact made no sense, or did everyone else forget Fallout 3's original ending?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#192 Jonnjonzz

Jonnjonzz

Bake'em away Toys.

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

Shepard's reactions to his own endings in ME3 and the best use for Conrad.

Posted Image

#193 gamer812

gamer812

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:43 AM

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/

I agree with the entire article.

Spoiler

Posted Image

#194 Jonnjonzz

Jonnjonzz

Bake'em away Toys.

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

I read this on, of all things, a youtube comment but the Renegade in this game isn't like being one in the other games. For the most part renegade in the other games was just like a cheesy 80s action movie badass, in ME3 you are murderous psycopath who no one would like or trust and would probably be killed by his own crew.

Posted Image

#195 Indy aka Rex

Indy aka Rex

DRAMA

• Super Old Timer
  • 6,390 posts
  • Xbox Live: Indy aka Rex
  • PSN: Indy-aka-Rex

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:30 AM

It has a lot of points that I agree with as well.

The funny part to me is the entitlement of all the reviewers of the industry saying "Nope, never going to happen. It just doesn't."

Well, funny thing since it wasn't that long ago that a game with major hype had the ending completely changed in DLC because it in fact made no sense, or did everyone else forget Fallout 3's original ending?

Yeah, and they charged for it. The problem with the whole "new ending" argument is that, the fanbase that wants a new ending wants it FOR FREE, not as paid-DLC (which could likely happen). Making up an entire new ending (or to be more precise: SEVERAL new endings to replace the ones that exist) is that, it costs money to make... And virtually everyone bitching about changing it isn't going "Well, we want a new ending, we don't mind paying extra for it." they're going "That ending was an abomination, Bioware! We want a new one that's more fitting with the game!" As if creating a whole new end-scenario was something people could come up with out-of-the-blue, with virtually no cost whatsoever.

And what's worse is the amount of people who think they're entitled to their complaint because Bioware promised them that their choices would somehow create the games they played. Really, that's the most absurd reasoning for hating the ending. From the first day ME was announced the argument was "it's gonna be a trilogy. your choices will have consequences." not "Everything in this game is impacted by your actions. It's gonna end how you want it to end!"

I haven't finished the game (matter of fact, I haven't even started playing), but every single complaint I've heard about the ending from the "fans" has just come off as moronic fanboyish bitching along the lines of SW nerds getting mad over the Jabba scene in ANH: Special Edition, or Ewoks blinking. Some complaints are valid, others just seem stupid.

#196 Jonnjonzz

Jonnjonzz

Bake'em away Toys.

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:05 AM

Play the game first, then make up your mind.

And Bioware did say in the lead up and PR for this game that you choices would change the ending.
Spoiler

Edited by Jonnjonzz, 15 March 2012 - 03:18 AM.

Posted Image

#197 MojoBox

MojoBox

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

You're decisions do make differences in you're ending, maybe not to the extent that people wish, but the game isn't consequence free in that regard either. Make enough wrong choices and
Spoiler

#198 gokieks

gokieks

Mostly Harmless

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • Xbox Live: GokieKS
  • PSN: GokieKS
  • STEAM ID: GokieKS

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

You're decisions do make differences in you're ending, maybe not to the extent that people wish, but the game isn't consequence free in that regard either. Make enough wrong choices and

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted Image
Posted Image

#199 MojoBox

MojoBox

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

All those decisions play into EMS and EMS has everything to do with the ending, how is any of what I said wrong? The fact that there are alternative ways to get there doesn't mean anything. If those alternatives weren't there than people would bitch that there's no way for people who start with ME3 to get the good ending, it was kind of lose lose on BioWare's part.

Also

Spoiler

Is that enough to make it worth the while? I think so, others won't.

Edited by MojoBox, 15 March 2012 - 10:57 AM.

#200 gokieks

gokieks

Mostly Harmless

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • Xbox Live: GokieKS
  • PSN: GokieKS
  • STEAM ID: GokieKS

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

The fact that there are alternative ways to get there doesn't mean anything.

Actually, it does. It means that your EMS is actually reflective only of how much time the player spent playing the game (either doing sidequests in SP to get war assets or playing MP to boost Galactic Readiness), not the decisions his/her Shepard made.

Not to mention the "normal" ending covers a huge swath of the EMS spectrum (everything from 2800 to 4000 EMS leads to exactly the same thing, and even the next two lower tiers are only marginally different), which means for most players to get a different (worse) ending, they have to specifically go out of their way to not play MP *and* actively try to make the galaxy a shittier place in their SP game.

Edited by gokieks, 15 March 2012 - 11:04 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users