• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts
  • Xbox Live: Owozifa
  • Wii U / NNID:Owozifa
  • PSN: Owozifa
  • STEAM ID: Owozifa

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

So I haven't seen anyone discussing this HD collection much around, but I was pretty excited for it as I missed the Silent Hill games, but have had a huge upswing in my interest in horror due to a discovery of a love of Italian horror films. I was looking forward to grabbing up this collection for an easy way to get my Silent Hill on, but reports have come in that the ports are pretty bad, with missing sound effects, bad fog, bad framerate, and complete and utter crashing. I don't really care about the voice acting changes (as I have no point of reference for the old stuff and a few clips seemed to me to be a tidge better in the collection anyway), but the technical stuff seems pretty bad from what I can gather.

Anyone have any experience/know if it might get fixed up?
Persons attempting to find a Motive in the above post will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a Moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a Point in it will be shot.

Posted Image

#2 gamer812

gamer812

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts
  • Xbox Live: gamer812
  • Wii U / NNID:gamer812
  • PSN: gamer812
  • STEAM ID: gamer812

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

Probably not. There was a 300MB patch for PS3 that did nothing helpful to the audio sync issues. Some report it added audio lag to SH3's cutscenes. It's a terrible port and I don't recommend it to anyone unless you have no other choice to experience these games. Both Konami and Hijinx Studios should be embarrassed they released such a poor port.
Posted Image

#3 Owozifa

Owozifa

New Age Retro Hippie

• Super Old Timer
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

It seems really bizarre that they would let it go with such terrible technical problems like this when they spent the time and effort to re-record the voice acting and everything.
Persons attempting to find a Motive in the above post will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a Moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a Point in it will be shot.

Posted Image

#4 Owozifa

Owozifa

New Age Retro Hippie

• Super Old Timer
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

So, here's an article from Eurogamer that kind of explains why the HD Collection is so bad, but for me the main thing was the fog because I know if I was going to play it that fog would drive me nuts as it is and that's unlikely ever to be fixed.

http://www.eurogamer...-silent-hill-hd

I finally decided to go the used PS2 route. The only reason I hadn't before was the HD collection and now that sucks so... Managed to snag them both in mint condition for still less than the price of the collection so I consider it a victory.

Posted Image

#5 Fahrenhype

Fahrenhype

Big the Cat

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

I've got SH2 & SH3 on PS2 though I've barely played them. After seeing the GameTrailers review about how bad the HD ports are I'll probably just play the versions I already own down the line. I'm starting to wonder what is happening to the typical level of polish you could usually expect from Japanese games. I'm playing Dark Souls right now and the game is a technical train wreck compared to the relatively smooth Demon's Souls. I hope they get this stuff sorted out because it doesn't look they are going to be able to rely on making $40 handheld games forever.
"I enjoy approaching subjects of discussion from incredibly unusual angles with surprisingly sound justifications for those angles of approach; that and I really like ships, so most of those "unusual angles" start on a basis that involves them." - RMS Gigantic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users