• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,449 posts
  • Xbox Live: FullmetalCJ
  • Wii U / NNID:SuperPac
  • Wii: 4598-7706-4684-7027
  • PSN: SuperPac

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

This week! Hot Shots Golf World Invitational, South Park: Tenorman's Revenge, Closure, Persona 3 Portable, Sine Mora, Madcoaster, Draw Something (and the controversy around it from this week), Warriors Orochi 3 and so much more. You'll only be able to experience it by listening to it.

Check out Greg's new web series Generation 16 (Episode 3 now available) - click here. And take a trip over to Phil's YouTube Channel to see some awesome retro game vids.

Own an iPhone/iPod touch? We've got an app for that--the Player One Podcast player app is available now. Play shows new and old, read show notes, access the show Twitter, website, email, voicemail line and more! Plus, you'll be able to access bonus audio and video content (soon, once we figure out what that is). Click here to download.

Got an Android device? You can now download our app on the Android Marketplace. Find out all about it here.

Follow us on twitter at twitter.com/p1podcast.

Thanks for listening! Don't forget to visit our new web site at www.playeronepodcast.com. Don't forget to join our forums if you haven't already!

Direct download: 04_02_12-Episode284.mp3

Running time: 1:12:00

Posted Image

#2 TheKurichan

TheKurichan

Screw this guy.

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  • Wii U / NNID:TheKurichan
  • PSN: kurichan78
  • STEAM ID: TheKurichan

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

I didn't know that Game of Thrones was fantasy until after I started watching it. I fucking hate fantasy! But Game of Thrones is great.

Edited by TheKurichan, 03 April 2012 - 06:42 AM.

P1P Hot Shots Golf Season 1 Champ!
P1P Hot Shots Golf Season 2 Champ!

#3 famousmortimer

famousmortimer

Baldness

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts
  • Wii U / NNID:famousmortimer
  • PSN: famousmortimer
  • STEAM ID: famousmortimer

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

Pete Dodd liveblog©

Boo, i miss sewart already :(

"The april fools was that it wasn't an april fools" <---PT.... I tried so hard to come up with something funny to say about april fools on twitter and I couldn't. So kudos to you, mr theobald.

I hate indie puzzle platformers. I appreciate that the people making them are talented, but I have no interest in playing them. Braid made my brain hurt and lacked fun.

I want Sine Mora on steam. Pa-lig-a-nul? Not poly-gon-al?

"I guess that's just the old man in me" "It is." hahahahah, eat it phillips.

Fuck the OMGPOP CEO. And also, how hard is it for them to add words? The fact that they have such a limited amount of words in mind boggling.

Ha, mike just said that.

I can't muster up any caring about sega. I mean it sucks that people are losing their jobs, but it's been very rare over the last 4 or so years that I've given a crap about a sega game. Basically Sonic Generations and... I think that might be it.

"That is actually not an integer, I don't know if you know that." lol

This lumines game is clicking with me also, CJ. The other ones seemed neat but i never really 'got it' so to speak.

Suda 51 is the stupidest name. Stupidest!

I would add platinum games to that list. Their games are ok, not terrible... but not anywhere near as fucking amazing as their cult of followers make them out to be.

Awesome show gents, as usual.

Hidden track: My wife is a teenage girl evidently because she loves every single one of those shows. She is going to be on say yes to the dress though, she is doing makeup for one of the brides picked.

I love phil's idea for dance mom.
Posted Image

#4 mik

mik

Q*Bert

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,178 posts
  • Xbox Live: mik
  • PSN: mik

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

[puh-lig-uh-nl]
Posted Image

#5 K-S-O

K-S-O

Blood Wake

• Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Wii U / NNID:kso0514
  • PSN: kso0514
  • STEAM ID: kso0514

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

Seeing a Warriors game on the list made me think that someone would bring out Mario again. I was surprised that it didn't happen.

I'm actually interested in playing the game but I have a backlog to go through.

tumblr_n8ryopL80J1qbwudjo1_500.gif

#6 Jave

Jave

Did someone say Skitchin?

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Xbox Live: MelodiousJave
  • Wii U / NNID:Melody-Jave
  • STEAM ID: MelodiousJave

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

I quite like being Bejeweled, though I prefer being Bejeweled Twist, erm... twisted... whatever. I like Twist.

I too am tired of the indie puzzle platformer with a unique art style genre.
Braid pissed me off. Basing puzzles off of mechanics that the player could only discover by accident is equivalent to only telling half of a riddle. Just because it's hard to figure out doesn't make it clever.

The more I play Sine Mora, the more I dislike it.
Sure, it looks great, and the story is amazing, but it's just not well-made.

Now Jamestown, there's a game you can sink your teeth into.

If any game could convince me to buy a Vita, it'd be PSO2, so I really, really hope Sega's still got that one up their sleeves.

~~buy xithromax online ireland!~~

#7 famousmortimer

famousmortimer

Baldness

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts
  • Wii U / NNID:famousmortimer
  • PSN: famousmortimer
  • STEAM ID: famousmortimer

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

[puh-lig-uh-nl]

Really? Well, I've never let proper pronunciation stop me before, why start now?
Posted Image

#8 mrkgoo

mrkgoo

Bomberman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

It's actually not that hard to add words to DrawSomething, but you know, they're busy rolling around in money not unlike Scrooge McDuck. Now that I think about it, that's a pretty dumb name. Imagine If I was called Happy McHuman.

Anyway, it's not just as straight forward as adding a dictionary or random words. They each have to get associated a difficulty. Yeah, not a big deal, but it does mean they probably run it past a committee or something.

But sad to see CJ not in it anymore. Is Phil around for games?

Best wishes on your trip over to NZ, CJ!

#9 Owozifa

Owozifa

New Age Retro Hippie

• Super Old Timer
  • 5,302 posts
  • Xbox Live: Owozifa
  • Wii U / NNID:Owozifa
  • PSN: Owozifa
  • STEAM ID: Owozifa

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

I suspect Phil might be attempting to stir a pot (say it ain't so) with this indie puzzle platformer thing. I'm a pretty big fan of puzzle platformers, but mainly because I find them fun. A unique art style never HURT any game. I just think a lot of these games aren't entirely fun. One of my favorite puzzle platformers is still Crystal Caves for good old MS-DOS. I would buy up a remake of that business in a second.

Haven't played the Closure demo or anything yet, though.

Edited by Owozifa, 03 April 2012 - 09:58 PM.

Persons attempting to find a Motive in the above post will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a Moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a Point in it will be shot.

Posted Image

#10 momerath

momerath

A miserable little pile of secrets

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • Wii U / NNID:momerathh
  • PSN: momerath
  • STEAM ID: msmrise

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

Another great episode!
I'm totally taking partial credit for co-starting the recent wave of donations. Me and that other guy [I forget his hacker alias.]

:P

#11 PlayerOnePhil

PlayerOnePhil

Radical Ninja

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts
  • Xbox Live: Whimsical Phil
  • Wii U / NNID:WhimsicalPhil
  • Wii: 8239-9147-6944-3609
  • PSN: WhimsicalPhil
  • STEAM ID: Radical Ninja

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

I suspect Phil might be attempting to stir a pot (say it ain't so) with this indie puzzle platformer thing. I'm a pretty big fan of puzzle platformers, but mainly because I find them fun. A unique art style never HURT any game. I just think a lot of these games aren't entirely fun. One of my favorite puzzle platformers is still Crystal Caves for good old MS-DOS. I would buy up a remake of that business in a second.

Haven't played the Closure demo or anything yet, though.

No, I actually am pretty sick of the IPPWAUA. The more I see/play of them, the more they all start to smack of style over substance. They all seem to rely on one gameplay hook, but rarely develop their mechanic beyond that basic level. Usually, I'm tired of the gimmick by the time the demo ends. Like Mike said in this episode, in many cases I end up seeing what I have to do to clear the stage, but I don't feel like being bothered to actually do it.

As for the art style of the games, I get the vibe from them like the high school kid who decides to stand out from his peers by adopting a goth dress style. He thinks he's being very unique and expressing his individuality, but he doesn't realize that about a third of his classmates are expressing their individuality the exact same way.

#12 momerath

momerath

A miserable little pile of secrets

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • Wii U / NNID:momerathh
  • PSN: momerath
  • STEAM ID: msmrise

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

That's sort of what tired me out on the whole "8-bit-retro-style" stuff. I feel like it wore out its welcome... And many of the offenders were indie games.

In a similar way, I quickly got tired of the word "zombie" being thrown into almost everything.

#13 TylDurden

TylDurden

Hermie Hopperhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Xbox Live: TylDurden
  • PSN: TylDurden

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

Two Developers that I don't give a shit about

Dennis Dyak, what? He made like 1 good game, and I don't find it nearly as good as everyone makes it out to be.

Tim Schafer, haven't cared about any of his games. Probably liked Brutal Legend the most and that was only slight more than everyone else likes it, which isn't very much.

#14 mik

mik

Q*Bert

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,178 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

Yeah I'm not crazy about Tim Shafer either.

But you should love Dyack for his Metal Gear port. :P
Posted Image

#15 gokieks

gokieks

Mostly Harmless

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Xbox Live: GokieKS
  • PSN: GokieKS
  • STEAM ID: GokieKS

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hearing Brutal Legend being someone's favorite Tim Schafer game just leaves me flabbergasted.

E: there needs to be an updated release of Grim Fandango.

Edited by gokieks, 04 April 2012 - 04:08 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 PlayerOneCJ

PlayerOneCJ

Player One God

• Root Admin
  • 7,449 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

Dyack created 2 of my favorite games!

Eternal Darkness was some of the most fun I had with "survival horror" since Resident Evil 2. Just a really fun experience that I enjoyed from start to finish (and over again - I completed that game twice to see some multiple endings).

And Too Human - it's the only game that has ever succeeded in making me consistently laugh throughout, at both its gameplay and story. Its supreme badness is also its greatest greatness. (Yes I meant to type that.) And its combat was pretty damn good/fresh. I had way too much fun with that game, and am genuinely upset we'll never see another one. I have never been so entertained playing a multiplayer game as I was with that game.

Posted Image

#17 mik

mik

Q*Bert

• Super Old Timer
  • 10,178 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

I can't decide which was the more hilarious element of Too Human co-op: that you were both the same character, or that they stripped out all the cutscenes, making the story completely incomprehensible.
Posted Image

#18 PlayerOneCJ

PlayerOneCJ

Player One God

• Root Admin
  • 7,449 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

I just loved when we got to the end and it threw us back in the lobby. No explanation. That was the single funniest moment of the experience. Absolutely mind-blowing. Greatest game ever.

Posted Image

#19 Kirbutashi

Kirbutashi

Don't fuck with this senator!

• Administrators
  • 7,814 posts
  • Xbox Live: Kirbutashi
  • Wii U / NNID:Kirbutashi
  • Wii: 4591-0447-7245-4168
  • PSN: Kirbutashi

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:25 AM

Aw, no love for Boktai, Mik? Its the secret best Hideo series.

Luckily I've managed to just overlook the vast majority of IPPWAUA for a long while so that Fez won't be too blasé once I get my hands on it. The other strike against it for most people will be that its yet another pixel art indie platformer, too.

#20 TylDurden

TylDurden

Hermie Hopperhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Xbox Live: TylDurden
  • PSN: TylDurden

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Yeah I'm not crazy about Tim Shafer either.

But you should love Dyack for his Metal Gear port. :P

Yeah. I liked Twin Snakes but Dyak really doesn't get the credit for that one, although he did do a decent job not messing up a great game.

BTW, the whole pre-mik/post-mik discussion. I started listening when I heard mik was on the show. So take that for what its worth.

Edited by TylDurden, 05 April 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#21 TheKurichan

TheKurichan

Screw this guy.

• Super Old Timer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  • Wii U / NNID:TheKurichan
  • PSN: kurichan78
  • STEAM ID: TheKurichan

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

Level 70?

Not paying attention (watching the football).

The other fourth chairs were really not hard acts to follow.
P1P Hot Shots Golf Season 1 Champ!
P1P Hot Shots Golf Season 2 Champ!

#22 Owozifa

Owozifa

New Age Retro Hippie

• Super Old Timer
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

I like pixels.
Persons attempting to find a Motive in the above post will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a Moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a Point in it will be shot.

Posted Image

#23 Owozifa

Owozifa

New Age Retro Hippie

• Super Old Timer
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:40 AM

I think I better understand the Closure dislike after seeing the game go. Besides the actually rather bland art style, the mechanics are too finnicky. I like puzzle platformers that are a little more mechanical or designed or...I dunno. Donkey Kong for GameBoy is a good watermark for puzzles and platforms to me. Especially considering the take a key to a door idea.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users